Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opening Up Old Sussex Railway Lines

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone have any news on the Horsted Keynes-Ardingly-Haywards Heath extension on the Bluebell line ?

Also the old closure of East Grinstead to Crawley, does anyone remember ? How mad was that !

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I work with a bloke who helps out at the Bluebell and a move west to Haywards Heath is on the cards. All comes down to money at the end of the day.

The biggest headache is the building off a new viaduct between Horstead Keynes and Ardingly. They blew the old one up after the line closed. The track is still there between Ardingly and Haywards Heath and runs along side the main line into Haywards Heath.

They had also thought about going South to Lewes from Sheffield Park. But where the Station used to be at Newick/Chailey is now a housing estate.

No chance of East Grinstead to Three Bridges route ever being opened again as where the station was at Crawley Down has all been built on.

Funny that East Grinstead used to be a major rail junction with lines going east to west and north to south. Now just the main line north.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Wouldn't I just love to be able to get on at West Hoathly (the station for which was actually in Sharpthorne) and travel by train all the way to the Amex. Or better still, from WH to Lewes to change for Falmer. On good days I could even walk from home to the station. The East Grinstead to Crawley (Three Bridges) line was closed just as Crawley was being expanded. Now about 25% of East Grinstead residents work in Crawley, and they have no alternative but to drive (bus services are poor and slow). The line cannot be reopened, as shops and flats were built across the track at Crawley Down.

They did actually try to get part of the Horsham to Guildford line reopened, from Cranleigh to Guildford. Cranleigh's residents were in favour, but Bramley, a real Ye Olde Englande village, was against. Why, I don't know, when the traffic on that part of the A281 is a real pain and spoils the village. Baron Pepperpot, there is no real prospect of the Bluebell reopening the Ardingly line for some while. It is a long-term project, but they think it will take about 20 years, and it will only ever be a tourist railway.

Edit: I hadn't read forrest's post before posting myself. For the Horsted Keynes to Ardingly section, I think they plan to fill in the cutting where the viaduct was removed and then put a much narrower bridge across. There is also the issue of the stone terminal at Ardingly. I presume it will have to close before the Bluebell can use the track, and I can't see Network Rail allowing the Bluebell into Haywards Heath, which is exceptionally busy, though I suppose they might be able to use Platform 1 in off peak hours.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Uckfield to Lewes line idea got some coverage on BBC very recently, with the Government supposedly looking at it again.

Someone has since mentioned to me that it would have to a take some of the route differently, if it came fruition.

Re the Bluebell - now that it has finally got to E Grinstead, is it used in a minor way by anyone commuting from say the Chailey/Sheffield Park areas, to work in East Grinstead? It would be interesting to see that it isn't just a tourist attraction.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Beeching was, with respect, and with the benefit of hindsight, an idiot.

So many of the railways that he ordered to be ripped up, would be invaluable today.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Look at Dumpman films...he doesa lot of video's of old railway lines and things of the past.....I have his ones of the West Pier and the old line that runs through the Clayton tunnel...

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wouldn't I just love to be able to get on at West Hoathly (the station for which was actually in Sharpthorne) and travel by train all the way to the Amex. Or better still, from WH to Lewes to change for Falmer. On good days I could even walk from home to the station. The East Grinstead to Crawley (Three Bridges) line was closed just as Crawley was being expanded. Now about 25% of East Grinstead residents work in Crawley, and they have no alternative but to drive (bus services are poor and slow). The line cannot be reopened, as shops and flats were built across the track at Crawley Down.

They did actually try to get part of the Horsham to Guildford line reopened, from Cranleigh to Guildford. Cranleigh's residents were in favour, but Bramley, a real Ye Olde Englande village, was against. Why, I don't know, when the traffic on that part of the A281 is a real pain and spoils the village. Baron Pepperpot, there is no real prospect of the Bluebell reopening the Ardingly line for some while. It is a long-term project, but they think it will take about 20 years, and it will only ever be a tourist railway.

Edit: I hadn't read forrest's post before posting myself. For the Horsted Keynes to Ardingly section, I think they plan to fill in the cutting where the viaduct was removed and then put a much narrower bridge across. There is also the issue of the stone terminal at Ardingly. I presume it will have to close before the Bluebell can use the track, and I can't see Network Rail allowing the Bluebell into Haywards Heath, which is exceptionally busy, though I suppose they might be able to use Platform 1 in off peak hours.

I believe that Haywards Heath Station (rail track) will allow the bluebell railway to have a shared entrance and its own platform the issue for the bluebell is they don't have the space for a run around for the locomotive to turn around and it would be costly to have two engines.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I note the Bluebell Railway have just updated their long term objectives and posted these on their website.

These definitely include the extension via Ardingly towards HH. There is already a fair amount of ongoing maintenance work to stabilise the trackbed. I believe they have looked at the feasibility of by-passing or passing through the stoneworks. Then there are the logistics of getting into HH, although I believe the Bluebell may have some right of access? You would think that the congested Brighton mainline might take preference should any scope become available at HH, so would be interesting?

Another objective is the opening of a station at West Hoathly, which to me seems more likely in the shorter term, although by no means a certainty.

To their credit The Bluebell are maintaining a watching brief on the Sheff Park to Lewes route although they acknowledge the obstructions at Newick make this very unlikely.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I hope they open up the Brighton to Crowborough line again...would come in very handy for work! Any chance of this?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Beeching was, with respect, and with the benefit of hindsight, an idiot.

So many of the railways that he ordered to be ripped up, would be invaluable today.

Yep Beeching went way too far with his axe! HS2 is hoping to use some of the old line if it comes to being. They are also re-opening the old line from Carlise northwards into Scotland.

Lewes to Uckfield is still very possible using most of the old line. Though they would have to make a connection onto the main line between Lewes and Cooksbridge as where the old line came into Lewes they have built on it. But the option I think is a viable one. though i would imagine the owners of the Laveneder Line at Isfield would be pretty peed off as it would see thye end of them.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I believe that Haywards Heath Station (rail track) will allow the bluebell railway to have a shared entrance and its own platform the issue for the bluebell is they don't have the space for a run around for the locomotive to turn around and it would be costly to have two engines.

The steam trains that ran from Brighton to Horsham were of the push-pull type which had a driving cab at the opposite end of the train to the locomotive. If such rolling stock could be found or even reproduced in the Bluebell worshops this would get over that problem. A last resort would be a DMU between Haywards Heath and Horsted Keynes with a change there to a steam train.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Does anyone have any news on the Horsted Keynes-Ardingly-Haywards Heath extension on the Bluebell line ?

Also the old closure of East Grinstead to Crawley, does anyone remember ? How mad was that !

Mad certainly and the closure of the EG to Crawley line/spur seems to be irreversible without spending gazillions.

I lived previously in Worth (Crawley) back to back with the old railway cutting which stops at the edge of the M23 so that particular 'bit' is highly highly unlikely ever ever to open again !

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I hope they open up the Brighton to Crowborough line again...would come in very handy for work! Any chance of this?

Uckfield - Lewes is being looked into Network Rail, but this if anything is just to silence the groups asking for the re-opening - so i heard anyway.

It was looked at a few years ago but ruled out as there was no viable business case due to the large costs involved. Its incredibly unlikely to actually go ahead.....ever.

Saw someone mention about Brighton - Horsham, i have heard (probably a load of crap) that they are looking at building a chord near Arundel to allow a direct service between Brighton and Horsham via Worthing to run - also to be used as a route into London avoiding Gatwick and Croydon and anything avoiding Croydon is a good thing !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The biggest headache is the building off a new viaduct between Horstead Keynes and Ardingly. They blew the old one up after the line closed. The track is still there between Ardingly and Haywards Heath and runs along side the main line into Haywards Heath.

Thanks for this. I've seen that track beside the mainline and often wondered whether it was the HH end of the Bluebell Lane (as it became). I thought it was but you've confirmed it.

Uckfield - Lewes is being looked into Network Rail, but this if anything is just to silence the groups asking for the re-opening - so i heard anyway.

It was looked at a few years ago but ruled out as there was no viable business case due to the large costs involved. Its incredibly unlikely to actually go ahead.....ever.

There's no viable business case for HS2 being built and that has an even bigger cost - yet that's proceeding

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Is it right that when HM the Queen has visited Ardingly for the S of E show, they've taken her by train to the Hanson depot at Avins bridge then driven her to the show?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Opening the Lewes line to East Grinstead linking Brighton that would help ease the congestion on the Brighton Victoria line and be fantastic for Albion fans in the North East of Sussex South East of Surrey and North West of Kent and maybe save more roads having to be built! Time to go back to using Trains. Then you Drink more beer at the Amex . PB

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Mad certainly and the closure of the EG to Crawley line/spur seems to be irreversible without spending gazillions.

I lived previously in Worth (Crawley) back to back with the old railway cutting which stops at the edge of the M23 so that particular 'bit' is highly highly unlikely ever ever to open again !

You didn't live in church road by any chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here