Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's so sad. Fry is a fantastic bloke.

Annoying that I have to listen to Herring to get some Fry though, listened to a Herring podcast recently and it was genuinely awful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's so sad. Fry is a fantastic bloke.

Annoying that I have to listen to Herring to get some Fry though, listened to a Herring podcast recently and it was genuinely awful.
Herring has been banging on about this particular interview from the moment it finished.
He's been saying, before this story broke, it's his best work ever.

I had my doubts but he obviously did something right, no one else was getting this story.

[tweet]342279635901485056[/tweet]

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I like Stephen Fry an enormous amount - he does go on somewhat on Twitter but he seems a lovely fellow and if ever I had the choice to invite anyone around for a meal he would be that person. And he does highlight some very good issues and arguments such as mental health.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Living with bipolar disorder must be one of the hardest things to overcome, (or deal with)
I am so thankful that he wasn't successful with his attempt in 2012, I feel genuine care for him.
I hope he keeps up the fight and has the right support network.

Oct 25, 2003
he's clearly battled his inner demons for quite some time, and bipolar disorder is a terrible thing to have to deal with

such a shame because he's an incredibly talented individual

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
My mum worked in mental health for over 25 years and suffers from depression so I'm very aware of the awful nature of his condition. Condition aside, the man himself is a true legend and if he did carry out the unthinkable, this country would be poorer without him.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Mental problems are terrible and can happen to anyone. Seems to be more out in the open these days, which can only be a good thing, especially when people like SF come out with these things - not that I'd wish it on him, I have a great respect for him (although I did pass him in the street once, and he's about 4 foot taller than me, so I hate him for that !)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stephen Fry = national treasure. So glad he failed with his attempt.

I'd love to think that the legacy of someone like him will be the greater understanding of mental health and recognising it's importance. Western society has really only ever paid lip service to understanding and preserving mental health, even now (despite having made huge strides).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
SO that Herring Podcast is £3.50 to download? Blimey.

That's for the video feed, audio will be free and along soon, but id image it will be a little delayed, what with all the press coverage.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So amazed the guy hasn't had a knighthood yet - for services to technology if nothing else. Champions the lesser known gadgets, and was one of the first "slebs" on twitter. I've been lucky enough to have read pretty much everything he's written that's been put into print, and it would be a massive loss if he did throw a seven :(

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So amazed the guy hasn't had a knighthood yet - for services to technology if nothing else. Champions the lesser known gadgets, and was one of the first "slebs" on twitter. I've been lucky enough to have read pretty much everything he's written that's been put into print, and it would be a massive loss if he did throw a seven :(

Pretty certain he's turned one down.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just watched the video, very moving towards the end. You cannot help but think the term national treasure was custom made for Stephen Fry. He very eloquently explained the feelings of the suicidal and why people cannot just snap out of it. His comments were every bit as educational as they were revelatory.

The rest of the podcast is very funny and the season pass is good value at £15 for all the videos. I've been letting Herring entertain me for free, for years so was quite happy to stump up for this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Stephen Fry = national treasure.

I'd love to think that the legacy of someone like him will be the greater understanding of mental health and recognising it's importance. Western society has really only ever paid lip service to understanding and preserving mental health, even now (despite having made huge strides).

Not if you're NSC user 'goldstone' unfortunately. Apparently a good brisk walk and a pint in the pub along the way will cure all known brain chemical imbalances. Marvellous.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The free audio version is now available on Ian Tunes' website.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've a lot of time for Fry. As a fellow sufferer of depression (mine is clinical, not Bipolar) it's a different kind of beast, but still a horrible thing nonetheless. It's great that he is willing to discuss depression and to help lose the stigma that comes with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here