Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "aspirations"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "aspirations"

This is from Barber:

"Tiers of the new membership scheme will be designed to suit personal preferences, aspirations and budgets. You may find that one of the tiers suits you - or none do in which case you will still be able to access tickets, subject to availability"

What's going on? What is all of this nonsense?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is from Barber:

"Tiers of the new membership scheme will be designed to suit personal preferences, aspirations and budgets. You may find that one of the tiers suits you - or none do in which case you will still be able to access tickets, subject to availability"

And does anyone find that last "if available" line a bit sinister, in a "join our you will lose out" sense?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well my Budget is that I'm not going to pay to join any scheme, considering that I don't believe we will sell out the majority of games next season, there shouldn't be any reason why I can't get a ticket now and again.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Did he actually say that? If so, he should get the **** away from our club ASAP. Tosser.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And does anyone find that last "if available" line a bit sinister, in a "join our you will lose out" sense?

Agreed - the implication is that they will make getting tickets difficult if you don't join. Thankfully the good folk of NSC will hopefully enable me to get tickets as many of them did last season ( despite Barber forcing the closure of the Ticket Available thread ! ).

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I have a ST. I'll be damned if I'm forking out on top of that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
my aspirations and my budget are two vastly different things

My aspirations as a supporter are to watch some half decent football...quite simple really. I imagine 99% (HBnB excepted) have a similar outlook?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Well my Budget is that I'm not going to pay to join any scheme, considering that I don't believe we will sell out the majority of games next season, there shouldn't be any reason why I can't get a ticket now and again.

I feel that the membership scheme (whatever that ends up meaning!) was dreamt up when we were on our way to the Premier League, without really considering how it might work if we don't get there for some time. How many 30,000+ crowds can we expect next year? For the vast majority of games casual supporters will be able to buy tickets, probably even on the day.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Barber will be culling Badgers soon! If we were still playing in a 20k stadium there might be pressure on tickets, but at 30k no one needs to worry, as mentioned above. I still have to have a lie down whenever I cast my mind back to the fact that after five plus days of the Palace play off Amex match going on GENERAL sale to anyone with a purchase history there were STILL tickets available.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I have a ST. I'll be damned if I'm forking out on top of that

Me too. My "aspirations" have been mostly covered by the fact that I have already paid up to sit in my preferred seat next season.

My other aspiration is to watch a team fighting a promotion battle. This will require a manager and possibly some new players who I would like to be available for pre-season if humanly possible. I think that should be the priority of Mr Barber and others right at this moment in time.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

I feel that the membership scheme (whatever that ends up meaning!) was dreamt up when we were on our way to the Premier League, without really considering how it might work if we don't get there for some time. How many 30,000+ crowds can we expect next year? For the vast majority of games casual supporters will be able to buy tickets, probably even on the day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My aspirations as a supporter are to watch some half decent football...quite simple really. I imagine 99% (HBnB excepted) have a similar outlook?
I'll say what I told you earlier - Barber came with exactly this reputation. I was wary of his decision to charge for mascots,but at least 1 or 2 spaces per match remained available for Gullys Gang members. Also wary of his insistence the NSC on-line ticket exchange be closed, but again that was actually illegal anyway, so we can't grumble too much.

However, he should be looking at creating entirely new revenue streams for the club, not attempting to fleece wealthier fans at the expense of the less well off support, many of whom will be very loyal fans. This is not a good turn of events.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If the new scheme is just a way of paying money to jump to the front of the queue then there's no way I will take part, I'd rather stop going to away games altogether. HOWEVER, do we actually know this is the case yet? Where has that Barber quote in the OP come from?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is from Barber:

"aspirations" - do **** off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here