Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pre-season training

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
simple question - when do the players report back for pre-season training? Will we have a manager at that point ? ??????

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
simple question - when do the players report back for pre-season training? Will we have a manager at that point ? ??????

Who needs a manager? Just give the wealth of talent we have its head...........

And no, I'm not being entirely serious.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No manager.

But not a problem, just tell them to go for a run for a couple of weeks.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
He's not allowed to manage though!

What is there to manage at the moment? Even if he wasn't suspended he wouldn't be making transfers and signing players as he is on holiday, as is pretty much the rest of the Football world.

The reason there is no news yet is because there is nothing to tell.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is there to manage at the moment? Even if he wasn't suspended he wouldn't be making transfers and signing players as he is on holiday, as is pretty much the rest of the Football world.

The reason there is no news yet is because there is nothing to tell.

To a point you are right, but uncertainty is never a good thing within a football club.

Most players probably had a feeling of their worth within the club with Poyet, this has now changed.

At the very least the players might have instructed their agents to 'test the waters', they cannot be sure if the next manager will view them the same, their status might change.

Agents might just come back with some interesting offers and opportunities for their client, perhaps something they were not even considering had Poyet stayed.

The club will continue its progress I am sure, but would acknowledge that an early resolution would be preferable.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
To a point you are right, but uncertainty is never a good thing within a football club.

Most players probably had a feeling of their worth within the club with Poyet, this has now changed.

At the very least the players might have instructed their agents to 'test the waters', they cannot be sure if the next manager will view them the same, their status might change.

Agents might just come back with some interesting offers and opportunities for their client, perhaps something they were not even considering had Poyet stayed.

The club will continue its progress I am sure, but would acknowledge that an earlier resolution would be preferable.

We don't know who will be manager next season, although the players may know more than us.

Nevertheless, all the points you make above could still be the case even if Poyet was known to be staying. Vicente was pretty scathing in his assessment of Poyet's management style - for all we know there may be other players thinking the same. These players (that may or may not exist) could have planned to test the waters elsewhere, but are now waiting to see what will happen here first.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm just trying (very inarticulately) to say that your points may well still have applied even if Poyet was know to be staying.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We don't know who will be manager next season, although the players may know more than us.

Nevertheless, all the points you make above could still be the case even if Poyet was known to be staying. Vicente was pretty scathing in his assessment of Poyet's management style - for all we know there may be other players thinking the same. These players (that may or may not exist) could have planned to test the waters elsewhere, but are now waiting to see what will happen here first.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm just trying (very inarticulately) to say that your points may well still have applied even if Poyet was know to be staying.

I agree players will always rightly look at options, but there will be an inevitable unease, until it is sorted.

I am not saying the club is wrong here, they have to do what they have to do.

But it can have its consequences.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

The club will continue its progress I am sure, but would acknowledge that an early resolution would be preferable.

Yes that's right because of course the club have washed their hands of any communication whatsoever with the players and left them in complete limbo.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes that's right because of course the club have washed their hands of any communication whatsoever with the players and left them in complete limbo.

I think you have misunderstood my point.

There is bound to be some uncertainty with a new manager ( if there is to be one )

He might not afford the current players the same status as Poyet did, similarly those that thought they deserved greater opportunity may well prosper.

Barber and Burke can say what they wish to any player but they also know they have to wait for any new manager before any worthwhile communication can really start.

Every person involved in the process knows this, again this isnt a comment against the club its just an observation.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Been told that the first pre season game should be in the first week of July, so my guess would be they report back around mid-late June.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just under 3 weeks time players report back for training, don't forget there's a training camp in Spain too.

Expect this to be sorted before then though.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think you have misunderstood my point.

There is bound to be some uncertainty with a new manager ( if there is to be one )

He might not afford the current players the same status as Poyet did, similarly those that thought they deserved greater opportunity may well prosper.

Barber and Burke can say what they wish to any player but they also know they have to wait for any new manager before any worthwhile communication can really start.

Every person involved in the process knows this, again this isnt a comment against the club its just an observation.

OK, point taken :)

I suppose it all comes down to how much of a "cult Poyet" there was as opposed to players having allegiance to Brighton. Even a situation as clear cut as Benitez at Chelsea would potentially have had players with mixed loyalties (although it didn't stop them performing that badly!).

In spite of Gus's public disloyalty, we're not used to being on the managerial roundabout. I console myself with the realisation that it's the best time of year for this uncertainty and also that Wigan, Millwall, Leeds and Blackburn players are probably in the same boat as ours.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If Poyet situation resolved now and as expected he goes then got to be looking at 2 weeks to get new guy in place so would say unlikely to have manager when players report back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here