Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

0 Not allowed!
    Hooray - about time too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22770064

It's a shame that these measures aren't extended to spot-fine elderly male drivers who wear hats.
    Rock rocks ....

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Fef View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's a shame that these measures aren't extended to spot-fine elderly male drivers who wear hats.
      Very high correlation, Shirley?

My thought was: how are they going to define "hogging"? A fixed time period passing no cars on the inside lane, perhaps? In any event, I expect a lot of people will go to Court to dispute "hogging"...
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Very high correlation, Shirley?

My thought was: how are they going to define "hogging"? A fixed time period passing no cars on the inside lane, perhaps? In any event, I expect a lot of people will go to Court to dispute "hogging"...
      While I like the idea it's hardly very enforceable. The police don't have the man power to stop speeding, using a mobile while driving and drink driving - I doubt they'll bother to enforce this new law. My prediction ? ZERO penalties handed out for lane hogging.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      They were talking to the Chief Constable who is the spokeswoman on motoring affairs for ACPO on Radio 4 earlier on. She seemed to be putting it across as a way of dealing with a number of "careless driving" cases quickly and without having to go through the bother of preparing for court.

0 Not allowed!
      Along motorways should be signs saying 'The Middle Lane Is For Overtaking Only' to aid the selfish, clueless imbeciles who use it for continuous miles on end.
      Members
      Exiled in former Sussex town of Tunbridge Wells

0 Not allowed!
      Make over taking in all lanes legal and these nervous nellies will soon be stuck limpet like to the slow lane. I read somewhere that middle lane hogs are the single biggest cause of accidents on the motorway - would like to re-find that source.

0 Not allowed!
      If they hand out an "on the spot" fine to middle lane hoggers, won't they just be making the problem worse? The time it takes to write out the paperwork, discuss the offence with the hat wearer, all whilst "on the spot" in the middle lane, it will be carnage at worst, and more congestion at best.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TRHK View Post
      Make over taking in all lanes legal and these nervous nellies will soon be stuck limpet like to the slow lane. I read somewhere that middle lane hogs are the single biggest cause of accidents on the motorway - would like to re-find that source.
      It isn't the slow lane - it is the fast lane, with the other two on a three lane motorway being both overtaking lanes.

I have a theory that we could solve any housing crisis we might have by building on the inside lanes of motorways, because no-one ever uses them.... except self-righteous idiots like me.
      Members

Re: Motorway Middle Lane Hoggers Can Be Fined On The Spot.

0 Not allowed!
      Below is my solution posted on the 'Police Chases' thread. By coincidence this proposal would also solve the problem raised on this thread - when GPS is accurate to a few centimeters (as will happen) cars could be alerted/fined automatically.

A bit 'Big Brother'? Possibly, but likely to be implemented eventually under some other guise e.g. a 'pay as you drive' system of road use charging.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
      A simple solution would prevent car chases ever happening:

Fix a date in the future when all cars need to be fitted with GPS tracking and 'speed governors' that prevent any vehicle exceeding the speed limited designated for the road that it's on.

It would also mean all speed ramps could be abolished!

Would probably save several hundred lives per year too.

Won't be adopted, of course, because all the Jeremy Clarksuckers out there (and their motor manufacturing parliamentary lobbyist pay masters) would object to drivers not having the 'freedom' to choose to buy a car that can do twice the legal limit of any road in the country.

0 Not allowed!
      Never understood why there isn't some sort of compulsory tuition required before new drivers are allowed to use motorways.