Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this a crime?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No it's not me, or anyone I know, just a story told to me about someone I knew.

What if someone were to drive around all the local charity shops, on a Sunday.
Pick up all the stuff that's been left outside, usually next to the sign saying 'don't leave stuff outside'.

Take the bounty home and sort it into 3 piles:-

- For me.
- For ebay.
- Back to the charity shop.

Then Sunday evening return the unwanted clobber back to the pavement outside said shop.

Sure it's morally reprehensible, but is it actually illegal?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
There are gangs that do exactly this and make a good chunk. Raid the clothes bins you see as well. Can't remember if it's actively illegal, but at the very least I think the police take a dim view.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why? Were you thinking of doing it.

And I would think, probably, yes, it would be illegal because, even if the stuff was left outside, it would be clear what it was intended for.

But I am not a lawyer.

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
No, It's not illegal. Morally wrong yes, but technically as they left it in the street and not on the property of the charity shop.
Could you steal a wheelie bin though?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Theft by finding? As in, it was found by the charity shop that it was clearly meant for. Just guessing of course :)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'm actually a manager at a charity shop and it is legal. However, you're basically taking money away from good causes and putting it into your own pocket. So if you do that, speaking from a charity workers POV, you're a dick. No offence

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Thinking about it, is it not the same as raiding the clothing/shoe banks, taking what you want and then returning the unwanted back to the clothing bank?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It happens more often than you may think. Whenever I pass a charity shop and see someone going through the donations left outside I give the thieving b@stards the evil eye. To me the goods are left as donations for the charity shop to raise funds for their particular cause and not for scallywags that have other intentions. :angry:

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
It is clear the property is not abandoned, so yes, it would be theft since the person taking it has no legal claim to ownership. It is the same reason why you can leave your bike chained up to some railings, and no one is legally allowed to take it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***READ THE FIRST LINE, CHAPS***

T'is a pretty scummy thing to do, but with at least 4 charity shops in our pretty affluent village, I'd image they make quite a haul.
The more I thought about it, and my moral outrage had cleared, I needed the obvious question answered, hence the thread.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have been to a market in this country, where a stall sells reject clothes from Jeep, Boomerang etc. Word on the street is that these are clothes that have been sent over specifically to give to the poor - not to be sold on. The people selling them claim to be poor, but are not. Now that is morally reprehensible - they have been reported but I doubt that they will be prosecuted.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is theft, and pretty low too, it might be difficult to prove in court, but if it isn't yours and you take it it's stealing, that includes stuff in skips and at the dump.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is theft, and pretty low too, it might be difficult to prove in court, but if it isn't yours and you take it it's stealing, that includes stuff in skips and at the dump.
Isn't there something about the contents of skips being owned by the skip owner?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You have to watch some of these lesser known charity shops as only part of the profit goes to the charity, so basically they are getting free stock and turning a tidy profit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is a criminal offence of theft by finding, so yes, you could potentially be in trouble for doing it.

That said, the police, if it was reported, would tend to speak to the charity shop and decide what their views are. If it was someone stealing clothes to keep their kids warm, they might not mind. Other stuff, they might well do.

Either way, it's not a nice thing to do, and it could land you in court.

Oct 25, 2003
charity shops are there to fund the charities that they belong to and they rely on stock donations....taking stock that was intended for them, that they could then sell on to help fund their projects is pretty low in my view.....especially if you're selling them for personal profit

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
And there are shops, posing as Charity or "Aid" Shops, that take stuff from donations for free and sell them for profit. All done legally, because they don't actually state that they are a charity.

Oct 25, 2003
alternatively, if you want to do something worthwhile with your old clothes then i'd highly recommend donating them to st. peters church...who give them to the homeless. Same goes for sleeping bags, blankets, tents etc.

of course there are other venues that do the same

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't that why charity shops say "Don't leave stuff outside - please just drop it in" - it must happen alot more than people realise?

I think it's morally REPREHENSIBLE.

D

Deleted member 2719

I had a dream but a unnamed man in his 40's stole the dream by giving it to bald pasty boy, was that theft or Charity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here