Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JAPAN vs AUSTRALIA

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Wow! that was one of the most exciting internationals I've seen in a long time. Japan needed a draw to qualify for the World Cup and got it. Both teams went hell for leather in the first half, with each GK pulling off superb saves. Japan totally dominated the second with attack after attack - Australia defended brilliantly, then got a sucker counter attack goal. Then in the last minute Japan got a penalty,which Honda smacked down the middle. Talk about sweaty hands!!! If you can, check it out; you won't be disappointed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank god I wont have to watch Cahill and Neill in the World Cup. Nice one Japan (now lay off the whales you twats).
You probably will. Australia now look in better shape to nab the second qualifying spot in their group...

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Thank god I wont have to watch Cahill and Neill in the World Cup. Nice one Japan (now lay off the whales you twats).

Mmmm, not probable as the top two teams in Asia groups go through and Australia in second atm. Even if they finish third they still get a play-off against Iran or Quata or someone. And then aginst South Americas 5th placed team.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
It does make the European qualification route look pretty tough. France, England, Greece, Israel, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Bulgaria and Iceland all currently in second spots and teams like Sweden, Czech Rep, Portugal, Turkey, Rep Ireland etc are currently out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It does make the European qualification route look pretty tough. France, England, Greece, Israel, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Bulgaria and Iceland all currently in second spots and teams like Sweden, Czech Rep, Portugal, Turkey, Rep Ireland etc are currently out.

South America have always had it the easiest. I think there are 10 nations in the S American federation, 4 qualify automatically and one goes into a play-off!

CONCACAF is also a picnic compared to Europe. I think there are 3 spots up for grabs there which means a Carribean Island will qualify and Mexico & USA have to bollox it up spectacularly in order to fail.

There are just too many nations in Europe, so that is where the World Cup trade off between best teams and global event is most keenly felt. Africa is quite harsh too.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well said I agree about your comment re the Wales I like the welsh :facepalm:

Whoops only joking it makes me :sick:when see pictures of them killing Whales will said.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
South America have always had it the easiest. I think there are 10 nations in the S American federation, 4 qualify automatically and one goes into a play-off!

CONCACAF is also a picnic compared to Europe. I think there are 3 spots up for grabs there which means a Carribean Island will qualify and Mexico & USA have to bollox it up spectacularly in order to fail.

There are just too many nations in Europe, so that is where the World Cup trade off between best teams and global event is most keenly felt. Africa is quite harsh too.

That's exactly why Australia switched to the Asia confederation - Oceania winners have to play off against South America which has been notoriously difficult.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's exactly why Australia switched to the Asia confederation - Oceania winners have to play off against South America which has been notoriously difficult.

That was one of the reasons, yes. Their WC qualifying always came down to a one off playoff game, after they had disposed of the handful of Pacific islands and New Zealand, and they usually ended up losing. Even when it wasn't the South American team it was an Asian qualifier like Iran.

The other reason they moved is that Australia sited a lack of competitive games as a reason for lack of progress. By moving to Asia, the now get to play in the Asian championship every four years.

Surely it is only a matter of time before Oceania is absorbed fully by the Asian federation. It really is a feeble, very weak set up. By far the world's weakest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That was one of the reasons, yes. Their WC qualifying always came down to a one off playoff game, after they had disposed of the handful of Pacific islands and New Zealand, and they usually ended up losing. Even when it wasn't the South American team it was an Asian qualifier like Iran.

The other reason they moved is that Australia sited a lack of competitive games as a reason for lack of progress. By moving to Asia, the now get to play in the Asian championship every four years.

Surely it is only a matter of time before Oceania is absorbed fully by the Asian federation. It really is a feeble, very weak set up. By far the world's weakest.

I understand Australia's reason for changing federations, but not why FIFA allowed it. It's utterly preposterous. "We're finding qualification a bit of a chore. We'd like to be in Asia from now on"

Perhap England should decide to 'leave' Europe, and apply to join CONCACAF.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I understand Australia's reason for changing federations, but not why FIFA allowed it. It's utterly preposterous. "We're finding qualification a bit of a chore. We'd like to be in Asia from now on"

Yeah - and Kazakhstan is in Europe ? And Gibraltar should be in UEFA at all ? I think the Aussies also felt that regular tournaments against Tahiti and the Cook Islands were not really helping their international development. Ironically this time around New Zealand will play-off against a Concacaf country because the WC is in South America anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

How is it any more preposterous than a sports mad country of 20m people being expected to play it's only main competitive matches against a handful of Pacific Islands and New Zealand? Have a look at the membership list - it is ridiculous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_Football_Confederation

I think that's the real problem here. And for WC qualifying, even when they beat those other nations (with ease), they still ended up having to play-off against some also rans who had screwed up their own route to qualifying. As I say, if there is a place for the Oceania federation, then IMO it should be a sub-federation to the Asian federation.

Interesting you should say this, but most football fans in England like the idea of playing in the Euros every 4 years. I'd wager the average Aussie fan couldn't give less of a toss that they aren't playing in the Oceania Nations Cup every 2 years these days.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How is it any more preposterous than a sports mad country of 20m people being expected to play it's only main competitive matches against a handful of Pacific Islands and New Zealand? Have a look at the membership list - it is ridiculous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_Football_Confederation

I think that's the real problem here. And for WC qualifying, even when they beat those other nations (with ease), they still ended up having to play-off against some also rans who had screwed up their own route to qualifying. As I say, if there is a place for the Oceania federation, then IMO it should be a sub-federation to the Asian federation.

Interesting you should say this, but most football fans in England like the idea of playing in the Euros every 4 years. I'd wager the average Aussie fan couldn't give less of a toss that they aren't playing in the Oceania Nations Cup every 2 years these days.

I was joking about England, OBVIOUSLY. There's nothing wrong with European qualification at all. Yes it's harder than the others, but so be it. If England can't get out of their current group, for example, then they don't deserve to go, regardless of what other 'lesser' nations make it.

I stand by my original point re Australia though, but you have offered a solution - merging the two federations. Aus simply deciding to move IS ridiculous. Them being 'sports mad' and the other countries all being shit, doesn't come into it. They are where they are.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here