Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stadium Tours

Oct 25, 2003
Nou Camp....really loved the museum with all the civil war stuff

Bernabeu was slightly underwhelming in comparison

St. James' Park was surprisingly good, mainly due to the slightly eccentric tour guide (who, in fairness, made a lot of mistakes...ie mistaking the nou camp for SJP in a photograph).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I did the old Wembley when I was 9 and have also been on the Amex tour. I'm going on a tour of Twickenham soon, which I am really looking forward to.

Have done Amex & new Wembley. As impressive as the latter is, and whilst you get a chance to hold one of the FA Cups (apparently they have about 4-5 for different reasons/occasions) I think you get a lot more for your money on the Albion tour. Longer and able to take more time in areas to take pictures etc. Think it's still 2 hours whilst Wembley is now only an hour having previously been 90 mins.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
anyone remember when the albion genuinely offered tours of withdean?

did ANYONE actually do this?

Yes.

Quite why I'll never know.

Not done The Amex one yet, must get round to it.

Did Lambeau Field last year (home of Green Bay Packers) excellent tour guide, and an awesome stadium. Old, and full of history.

On the same trip we went to The St. Louis Cardinals new baseball stadium. Not nearly as impressive.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Have done Amex & new Wembley. As impressive as the latter is, and whilst you get a chance to hold one of the FA Cups (apparently they have about 4-5 for different reasons/occasions) I think you get a lot more for your money on the Albion tour. Longer and able to take more time in areas to take pictures etc. Think it's still 2 hours whilst Wembley is now only an hour having previously been 90 mins.

I would echo that. Found the new Wembley tour quite underwhelming and thought the stadium was showing its age already. Amex home changing room is a lot better as England one is a dull brown rectangle. Also thought their warm up area for players was a lot poorer with no astro to warm up on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I did the old Wembley one, during which some people got screamed at by our otherwise affable guide for walking onto the pitch, and the Fenway Park one here in Boston, which is always very popular and not bad but you don't see much behind the scenes. The tour guides are excellent though: one of them continuously took the mick out of the New York Yankees, until one of his customers suddenly lost the plot with him - "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TITLES WE'VE WON" etc.

So, I've only done two but in both cases people got a bit pissy on them.

There was an excellent article in WSC about the proliferation of paid stadium tours the other week, rightly mourning the days when you could just wander into grounds out of season and have a look round.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Melbourne Cricket Ground in 1999 was a great memory the day after England played Australia. Walking out to the square was awesome in an empty stadium - I can't imagine how it felt with 100,000 packed in the night before!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Bernabeu. As much as any non-guided tour can be great, it was. Got in both changing rooms, sat in both dugouts. Don't like Real Madrid at all but value for money (esp as I was on a work freebie).

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Camp nou. But it's the only stadium I've had a your of.

On a different note, does anyone know if the museum is open now? I've been holding off doing the tour of the Alex until the museum is open.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sydney Cricket Ground and the adjoining Allianz Stadium, two tours for the price of one.

Great to stand on the square where our own Matt Prior hit that magnificent ton when we humiliated the Aussies on their own turf. It was blisteringly hot temps out the middle and the intensity of the sunlight made me respect even more how hard it must be to get runs. There's a great cricket museum inside the SCG and the long bar in the Pavilion has a plaque acknowledging the origins of the Sheffield Shield at our own Sheffield Park and that it's on loan from Sussex CCC, nice. Then the pride in seeing the English names on the honours boards - and the unofficial board recording the curator's own handwritten 'honours' scribed on an old wardrobe outside the changing rooms which apparently has just as much kudos for the players as the official one. During the tour you are left in no doubt just what the Ashes mean to the Aussies so it was especially sweet to remind them that we have the little urn, ha ha.

You then get to walk through the nets past an outdoor gym and an olympic size swimming pool to the Allianz footie stadium, which is like a an older and slightly bigger Amex (45k). Mainly used for egg chasing though. On the day of our visit there were some Aussie rugby stars have a cricket net against some state and test bowlers in prep for a big charity match. The bowlers weren't holding back and the rugby guys were not flinching, impressive.

There's also an athletics track tucked into the complex too.

Silverfox

Aug 1, 2011
Eastbourne
Skydome Toronto. Technology at its best, a pitch that zipped up, banks of seats that swivelled to suit sport, and a roof that closes. All they need now is a baseball team.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Stade Roi Baudouin (Heysel) - Me and my mate were just driving round Brussels and the stadium was just, well, open. Had a wander round, a run on the track, some shots on goal (wish we'd had a ball). Marvellous and free!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here