Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Chases

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
better things to do than catch criminals? yes, they should have just ignored it. :facepalm: and where does it say any cars were "totaled" (written off).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Better a van thief gets away that a child dies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/07/police-chase-south-london-death-girl

There was a video of the chase on the Argus site yesterday and it was crazy the way the cars were being driven. Hundreds of people are killed each year worldwide in car chases when a bit of forward planning could prevent most of them. A lot of American states have outlawed high speed chases by their police forces.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm quite sure that if it were the OPs vehicle involved he would have a different view on the matter.

Not at all. A life is worth more than a mere possession.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I can't help think it all looks great fun for the police involved. Serious of course, but hard to imagine when they get back to base they are not all high-fiving and discussing the close shaves.

The number in the chase did look ott. What had they all previously been doing ? And was it so unimportant they could all get involved in the chase and not be missed ?

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

The way to look at it as far as I am concerned, is lets be thankful no one was injured, and I'm guessing a criminal was caught, which is their job as far as I'm aware.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Better a van thief gets away that a child dies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/07/police-chase-south-london-death-girl

There was a video of the chase on the Argus site yesterday and it was crazy the way the cars were being driven. Hundreds of people are killed each year worldwide in car chases when a bit of forward planning could prevent most of them. A lot of American states have outlawed high speed chases by their police forces.

Doug, if you search hard enough on the internet you will no doubt find material to substantiate just about anything you want, each case has to be judged on its own.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's great about these reports is the way nobody ever stops to think there might be more to a case than simply a stolen van, for example.

Let's go for it, dougdeep, let's ban police from pursuing anyone, and tell all the criminals in this country that as long as they manage to get to a car and drive off quickly, they are free to do what they like. Burgle houses, stab people, steal cars, rape women, shoplift, get pissed, go out high on drugs, just make sure you get in a car quickly and floor it, and we'll leave you to it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yeah good idea, lets stop the police chasing stolen vehicles :facepalm:
I might just start steeling cars too, I quite fancy a Aston Martin, and thanks to Douglas no police will ever stop me :thumbsup:

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What's great about these reports is the way nobody ever stops to think there might be more to a case than simply a stolen van, for example.

Let's go for it, dougdeep, let's ban police from pursuing anyone, and tell all the criminals in this country that as long as they manage to get to a car and drive off quickly, they are free to do what they like. Burgle houses, stab people, steal cars, rape women, shoplift, get pissed, go out high on drugs, just make sure you get in a car quickly and floor it, and we'll leave you to it.

A good point, well made.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Why don't the police plan these things rather than have 9 cars just following one van? Don't just go all defensive, as you usually do. Is there a strategy, or is it like an expensive game of tag?

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yeah good idea, lets stop the police chasing stolen vehicles :facepalm:
I might just start steeling cars too, I quite fancy a Aston Martin, and thanks to Douglas no police will ever stop me :thumbsup:

I'm talking about high speed pursuits sir.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What like this :
There's a geezer going to steal a van a week on Wednesday, lets not bother chasing him, we'll just wait outside where ever he's going.
Where's he going?.......oh :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Better a van thief gets away that a child dies....

very sad, but ultimatly the responsibility of the person chased. they could have stopped the chase at anytime.

... A lot of American states have outlawed high speed chases by their police forces.

[citation needed]. or is that just bollocks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can see the OPs point, where there are 9 police cars after 1 van. Why not assign 3 cars at the most and cut off the stolen vehicle with a stinger (which is what they did in the end) rather than taking up 9 cars which could have been deployed elsewhere catching other crooks?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here