Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley council can't afford Broadfield Stadium

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If Crawley Council had allowed the Albion to ground share instead of Gillingham they would have had a ground which may have been developed into a 8,000 to 10,000 capacity paid for by Brighton. All that money that went to Gillingham , your fault Crawley Council. I hope this is not the slippery slope for Crawley FC What do you think!

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
I guess if Crawley fc now need to start actually paying to maintain the stadium it will make their finances even worse, espcially considering the crowds they get. I assume its rented from the council still, if so do the council have a duty to maintain it or can they force the tenants to do so?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think the title here is very misleading, I haven't seen it reported anywhere that the council can't afford to pay to maintain their own stadium.

The residents pay £1 per year from their council tax to the upkeep of the Broadfield, and with Crawley in League 1 the team must generate more than that spent in pubs, shops and hotels. I think it is a decent investment personally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would we have been so desperate to get to Withdean, had we been playing 'only' 30 miles up the one road?

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Unsustainable. Shame. Not.

Crawley tits up

Should Crawley come asking for a groundshare I do hope the appropriate single middle digit will be raised to them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Should Crawley come asking for a groundshare I do hope the appropriate single middle digit will be raised to them.

Are you expecting Brighton and Hove City Council to tell them to do one? Like Crawley Council did to us 17 years ago.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If I remember rightly, when the Broadfield was built, Crawley Town FC had to be persuaded to move in, as they thought it would be too big for them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are you expecting Brighton and Hove City Council to tell them to do one? Like Crawley Council did to us 17 years ago.

I would be astounded if Brighton and Hove City Council approved a groundshare. Would surely involve a planning application ???

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure I saw something recently where the new owners of Crawley wanted to move out of the Broadfield into their own stadium. That would make sense as, much like our time at Withdean, the football club do not own the stadium so only have limited opportunity to make money from non-footballing activities.

If that were the case, the Broadfield would have no tenant and, as such, the council would not want to be left with an empty football stadium so would probably bulldoze it and sell the land for development.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I would be astounded if Brighton and Hove City Council approved a groundshare. Would surely involve a planning application ???

The point I was making is that Crawley FC didn't refuse to let us play at their ground in 1997, it was Crawley council who vetoed it. Nothing to do with the football club, so why do people on here blame it on Crawley?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The point I was making is that Crawley FC didn't refuse to let us play at their ground in 1997, it was Crawley council who vetoed it. Nothing to do with the football club, so why do people on here blame it on Crawley?

Oh, I see. Quite right, Crawley Town FC shouldn't be blamed for the refusal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here