Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Glass - Pointless or the future?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
http://www.google.com/glass/start/

Thought I would see what the might of NSC thought of the forthcoming (to the public) Google Glass. Personally I don't really see the point. Is anyone that desperate to see their latest email, tweet etc that they will wear them rather than spend 30 seconds looking at their mobile. Is this just some technology gimmick or ego project that is going to disappear as quickly as it arrived or is it the future and Apple et al will follow suit and we will all be wearing them in the next 5 years?

Well??

**Before anyone starts it shouldn't be glasses, Glass is not a mistake**

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's like that episode of Star Trek TNG when everyone plays a game all day on their optical devices which slowly takes over their minds, to allow aliens to take over the Enterprise.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It might happen one day, but I don't see it taking off yet. People will have to make the transition to wearable hi-tech first with something less intrusive, such as a watch that receives email, tweets, Facebook updates.

Over time, we may get to the point where 'Google Glass' is the next step and doesn't seem so crazy, socially. We're not there yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rest assured the Hipsters will have them first.

Tech on the go, is where all the innovation and advances will be over the next x amount of years.

What's VHS and what's Betamax is anybodies guess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
neither, something in between. the tech geeks will love it for the sake, though its going to be a hard sell to general public. sticking somthing in pocket or handbag is far easier than having to wear ir all the time. it will also find some practical applications, couriers, warehouses, construction/builders and sales reps, where need to bring up detail on the fly is usefull hands free.

oh and the "spying" stuff is pure fear and over reaction. you can easily and cheaply buy concealed spying equipment today.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I'm on the fence. We were saying a long time ago that "one day we'll have computers in our eyes" or something to that extent.

As it stands, I'm struggling to see the point. However, in the age of the relentless drive for easy access information, maybe this is actually how things are heading and handheld or laptop devices might just become a bit of an unnecessary pain.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Rest assured the Hipsters will have them first.

Tech on the go, is where all the innovation and advances will be over the next x amount of years.

What's VHS and what's Betamax is anybodies guess.

But won't the hipsters want this when it's 'retro'?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'd be surprised if this one takes off, but with the amount of 'information anxiety' cropping up all over the place who knows where consumer demand will drive us next.

Just because we can do this stuff, doesn't mean we should. Wish some of these techie boffins would do a bit more research. :dunce:

I think Darwins Law will come into play with many "must have techy geeks" ending up under buses, falling down manholes or walking off cliffs because they are so keen to learn what Stephen Fry had in his lunchtime sandwich, delivered directly to their eyeball.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Well if they work as well as those X-ray Specs that were always advertised in magazines in the 70's and 80's, then they won't catch on!!!

Not forgetting Space Monkeys also!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What a horrible idea. Didn't they have something like this in minority report? Was definitely in Heavy Rain.
Utter waste of money. Just like an iPad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here