Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Song Lyric Malfunctions

Listening to The Undertones on 6 Music has just reminded me of one of my favourite childhood lyric malfunctions; I used to sing "he thinks that I'm a Chaffinch, 'cos I hate University Challenge" to My Perfect Cousin.

Got any goodies?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Son number 2 aged 3 or 4 liked to request his favourite music for the car. Sometimes this would be guess work on our part, as he wouldn't have a clue what the song title or who the artist was.
For maybe six months he had us stumped asking for a song called cows and uggies.
His lyrics cows and uggies bogey,bogey,bogey,bogey.

We got there eventually. Kalifornia is druggy,druggy,druggy. Cheers Fat Boy Slim

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Cornershop - Brimful of Asha. i always hear as 'Grim Poodle Basher'

Eiffel 65 - Blue. I always think they're saying (instead of 'da ba dee da ba die') "In Aberdeen I Will Die".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As a younger person I was always confused with one line from Bonnie Tylers 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'..

I always hear "Living in a Poltergag and giving off farts" !

I have no idea what the real lyrics are.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
As a younger person I was always confused with one line from Bonnie Tylers 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'..

I always hear "Living in a Poltergag and giving off farts" !

I have no idea what the real lyrics are.
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Mentioned on here before that I always thought Madonna sang, 'Last night I dreamt of some Pedro'.

I did think it was a little racist at the time... then it dawned on me!

I was even worse: as a child I thought she sang "Last night I dreamt of some dago".

Obviously, as a child, I had no idea what "dago" meant, nor that it was a derogatory term. In my defence :thumbsup:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I was even worse: as a child I thought she sang "Last night I dreamt of some dago".

Obviously, as a child, I had no idea what "dago" meant, nor that it was a derogatory term. In my defence :thumbsup:

I thought exactly the same Edna, and wondered for a long time how she got away with it.:dunce:

Paul Young - Every time you go away

"Ev'ry time you go away you take a piece of meat with you."

Jimmy Hendrix - Purple Haze

"'scuse me while I kiss dis guy"

Right up until 10 minutes ago when I googled the lyrics, that is exactly what I though the line was.:ffsparr:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
This is not so much a misheard lyric, as one that feels like it's going to be something else. There's a Taylor Swift song that they keep playing on the radio at the moment, which starts with something like "It feels like a perfect night, to dress up like hipsters".

Every single time I hear it, in my mind she sings "It feels like a perfect night, to dress up like Hitler".

Edit: A quick google search reveals I am by no means the only person to think this. This is the song:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I always thought I was mishearing Michael Jackson in Wanna Be Starting Something, but no, it turns out he really is singing

"You're a vegetable, they eat off you, you're a vegetable".

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
In "Christopher Tracey's Parade" by Prince, I always thought he was singing "Leicestershire brain", turns out it's "unless it should rain". Also thought it said "two front names" instead of "different names" in "Brighter" by The Railway Children. My brother always used to sing "Mamma Mia" as "how can I assist you". Also, "Death on two legs" by Queen - thought it was "never too late". Finally, "She bangs the drums" by The Stone Roses - rather embarrassingly used to sing "the way she breaks down on her words" instead of "the way she plays, there are no words". Plenty more - I'm a bit hard of hearing in one ear, have been since the age of 15.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
As a kid listening to the England 1982 World Cup song "This Time", I was convinced the lyrics said "This time, more than any other timw, we're going to find a way" thereby implying that they would win the World Cup. As they were were absolute toilet in that tournament I was clearly wrong. God knows what they were actually singing.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Elton John - Tiny Dancer - Sounds like "Hold my clothes and tie me down sir," instead of "Hold me closer tiny dancer."

David Bowie - Suffragette City - Sounds like "The smell of fat chicks just put a smile on my face," instead of "This mellow-thighed chick just put my spine out of place."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here