Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

60 Years ago

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Today 60 years ago, I was mostly watching The Queens Coronation, on a 9" television, built and installed by my Uncle at his house in Whitehawk. There was tea and squash with cakes, provided by my Auntie Nan. There were so many people in the room it was difficult to see anything or even move. A couple of years later my Dad who was obviously impressed invested £230 on a giant 14" screen from Hills of Hove.
Later in the afternoon I stopped at Palmeria Square on the way home, where the Mayor of Hove was opening the new Floral Clock. He must have left his watch at home as he asked me what was the time. So I told him, 4 o'clock as I could see that was what the time was on the giant clock right in front of me. A picture of this momentous event, and myself complete with school cap appeared in the Argus.
The Queen, Hills of Hove, The Floral Clock, and myself are the only surviving relics of this tale. Unfortunately only the name survives of the newspaper.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great stuff.

Was the England v Hungary match later in the year live on TV?

I remember it well - we all had a day off school.

And Goldstone, back in them there days the only footie on TV was the Cup Final. There were very few live outside broadcasts of anything, the Coronation was probably the first. If you wanted to see the Hungary game you went to the flicks and watched the Pathe News which usually had brilliant shots of people celebrating goals you hadn't seen scored.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Today 60 years ago, I was mostly watching The Queens Coronation, on a 9" television, built and installed by my Uncle at his house in Whitehawk. There was tea and squash with cakes, provided by my Auntie Nan. There were so many people in the room it was difficult to see anything or even move. A couple of years later my Dad who was obviously impressed invested £230 on a giant 14" screen from Hills of Hove.
Later in the afternoon I stopped at Palmeria Square on the way home, where the Mayor of Hove was opening the new Floral Clock. He must have left his watch at home as he asked me what was the time. So I told him, 4 o'clock as I could see that was what the time was on the giant clock right in front of me. A picture of this momentous event, and myself complete with school cap appeared in the Argus.
The Queen, Hills of Hove, The Floral Clock, and myself are the only surviving relics of this tale. Unfortunately only the name survives of the newspaper.

Rather dull - I was at a street party myself (still have the photo)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was 33 days off being born.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We had a street party and I was dressed as Henry VIII and only 1 person up our road had a TV so a number of people stood out side of his house watching through the front room window. He had s a 9 inch screen with like a magnifying glass on the screen to enlarge it.

Surely Whitehawk and Palmeria Square still exist! But seriously, I'm surprised the old clock is still going; haven't seen the thing since 1979! It'd be great to have more 60 and 50-years-ago threads about the Albion, although there probably wasn't much memorable until 1958.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here