Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a Hipster?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Well? I keep hearing mention of this group of people, often derogatorily, but what exactly are they? Not living in the u.k I've become slightly distanced by current pop culture. Who or what are this tribe of scorned Hipsters?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
hipster.jpg

This sums it up pretty well. They are IMPOSSIBLY COOL. In their heads.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
These were hipsters when I was a lad.

womens-hipster-jeans.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well? I keep hearing mention of this group of people, often derogatorily, but what exactly are they? Not living in the u.k I've become slightly distanced by current pop culture. Who or what are this tribe of scorned Hipsters?
Basically the type of person you are guaranteed to hit, if throwing stones in Brighton, Greenpoint/Williamsberg NYC, Wicker Park Chicago.
Alternatively take your lucky stone to Shimokitazawa and start luzzing.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
View attachment 43469

This sums it up pretty well. They are IMPOSSIBLY COOL. In their heads.

Hmmm, I have a friend who now dresses like that. Not spoken to him for a couple of years though...

They often have bushy MOUSTACHES and drink drinks out of JAM JARS.

My dad had a bushy moustache in the 80's and early 90's(and presumably in the 70's too). never seen him drink out of a jam jar though.

I enjoyed that very much. Thank you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think one of the most important elements of a Hipster is that they listen to bands with swear words in their names who you haven't heard of.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think the critical element of why "hipster" is an insult is that they are the annoying people who "did it before it became popular". A "hipster" did ALL the cool things before they were cool and now the masses have caught up/caught on, they have moved on to something else.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the critical element of why "hipster" is an insult is that they are the annoying people who "did it before it became popular". A "hipster" did ALL the cool things before they were cool and now the masses have caught up/caught on, they have moved on to something else.

Definitely. If you confess to liking anything even vaguely mainstream, they will look on you with contempt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Glasses with no frames in - ie an affectation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely. If you confess to liking anything even vaguely mainstream, they will look on you with contempt.

Unless you play the irony card.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Radio 1 gave the breakfast show to one

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here