Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was Des Tennant?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Found this lovely picture of ex-Brighton right-back and wing-half Des Tennant. Some may recognise this image as part of the the logo of BHACHS.

destennant.jpg

Not really knowing much about Albion in the 1940s and 1950s, I didn't know that he made 424 appearances for the club in those decades until I just looked it up. Thing is, what kind of player was he? Do you have memories of him?

And did Brighton players play in a striped shirt with buttons going down to the belly button?

It's a bit before my time.

As ever, thanks!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Before my time. Ben's Grandad might know.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Des was the original "Tank". He was the team, as Peter Ward was some years later. A one team footballer, almost. He died in 2009.

513lHamgP2L.jpgSecond on the left at the back next to Billy Lane. I grew up with this team, only Third division South but probably near the top of my favorites.
Billy Lane (Manager), Des Tennant, Don Bates, Eric Gill, Ken Whitfield, Glen Wilson, and Joe Wilson (trainer). Front row, left to right; Denis Gordon, Adrian Thorne, Dave Sexton, Peter Harburn, Denis Foreman, and Frankie Howard.

The shirt buttoned all the way down the front, was a shirt, anything else was a vest in those days. Here is West Blatchington Junior School's first ever Football Team in their new kit, shirts buttoned down the front and brown boots.

WestBlatchingtonSchoolStanBrand.jpg

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thats not a very good picture of him as I remember him but this was probably when he was young . A welshman who was the original tank everybody had to go around him because nobody pushed him off of the ball to go through him.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I remember many opposition players bouncing off him and ending up on the ground when trying to shoulder charge him. In the days when I first watched the Albion he played right back but wasn't afraid to take the ball forward as a winger which was unusual in those days as the two full backs normally didn't venture beyond the half way line. It was probably his past experience as a winger which made him one of the first attacking full backs.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Goldstone Rapper, have you not got Tim Carder's 'Seagulls' and the 'Albion A-Z' - would answer many of your questions! Lovely pic that tho.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Goldstone Rapper, have you not got Tim Carder's 'Seagulls' and the 'Albion A-Z' - would answer many of your questions! Lovely pic that tho.

Yes, I have, thanks. I wanted NSCers' perspective before I dived in. Often posters here provide personal memories and anecdotes that I most enjoy.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Des was the original "Tank". He was the team, as Peter Ward was some years later. A one team footballer, almost. He died in 2009.

View attachment 43465Second on the left at the back next to Billy Lane. I grew up with this team, only Third division South but probably near the top of my favorites.
Billy Lane (Manager), Des Tennant, Don Bates, Eric Gill, Ken Whitfield, Glen Wilson, and Joe Wilson (trainer). Front row, left to right; Denis Gordon, Adrian Thorne, Dave Sexton, Peter Harburn, Denis Foreman, and Frankie Howard.

The shirt buttoned all the way down the front, was a shirt, anything else was a vest in those days. Here is West Blatchington Junior School's first ever Football Team in their new kit, shirts buttoned down the front and brown boots.

View attachment 43466

Are you in the West Blatch photo Skipper?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I remember many opposition players bouncing off him and ending up on the ground when trying to shoulder charge him. In the days when I first watched the Albion he played right back but wasn't afraid to take the ball forward as a winger which was unusual in those days as the two full backs normally didn't venture beyond the half way line. It was probably his past experience as a winger which made him one of the first attacking full backs.

Des along with my all time Brighton hero, left back Jimmy Langley, were, when they were both together the best full back partnership in the division. I think Jimmy gets credit for the original overlapping full back. Blew my mind when I watched him play. I was devastated when Fulham took him from us, they were full of greats, Jonny Haynes, Bedford Jezzard, Charlie Mitten And I think Bobby Robson, ands that was only their forward line.
Now sadly remembered in Dicks window of fame.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Found this lovely picture of ex-Brighton right-back and wing-half Des Tennant. Some may recognise this image as part of the the logo of BHACHS.

destennant.jpg

Not really knowing much about Albion in the 1940s and 1950s, I didn't know that he made 424 appearances for the club in those decades until I just looked it up. Thing is, what kind of player was he? Do you have memories of him?

And did Brighton players play in a striped shirt with buttons going down to the belly button?

It's a bit before my time.

As ever, thanks!
Yes I remember Des, superb player blue and white striped through and through.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
My memory Of Jimmy Langley, which I can see in my mind now, was that he used to pull his shorts tightly up to to he's crutch, leaving nothing to the imagination.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Des used to take the penalties, one step and the ball hit the net.
He played in a great side that scored over 100 goals one season.
He also captained the side.
Football was so different in those days with five forwards (two wingers, two insides(left & right), and a centre forward). The defence comprised three halves(right,centre & left) in hindsite I guess they should have been called thirds, plus two backs(right & left) and a goalkeeper.Our wingers were fast with Flash(Gordon) on one side and Frankie Howerd the other its easy to understand why so many goals were scored.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wonder what would happen if a side turned out these day and started playing with a formation akin to, say, our 1958 promotion side. Would they get beaten easily? What would an "inside forward" actually do?

Sounds like we'd score a fair few but concede a fair few, to say the least.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting that the team photo features two players who also played cricket for Sussex, Don Bates and Dennis Foreman.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If anyone took liberties with Des he would let them ahead of him approaching the goalline then lean on them,they hit the fencing as if fired from a gun,rarely was it necessary for him to repeat the lesson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here