Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Chamberlain falls asleep & misses sons goal v Brazil

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Last updated 13 minutes ago

Ex-England winger Mark Chamberlain missed his son's goal against Brazil at the Maracana after falling asleep.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain pulled England level after Fred's goal in Rio, before Wayne Rooney put Roy Hodgson's side into the lead, only for Paulinho to make it 2-2 late on.

After the game Chamberlain, part of the last England side to win in Brazil in 1984, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I didn't see it. I was dropping his mother off at the airport at 6am this morning so I fell asleep."

But he added: "I've had loads of texts saying it was a fantastic goal. It was on tape so I'll watch it in a minute."

Ahead of England's draw in Rio, 19-year-old Oxlade-Chamberlain had spoken of emulating his father's side's victory, when Mark Hateley and a John Barnes wonder-strike gave the visitors a famous win.

The Arsenal youngster went on to admit he had never seen footage of that game.

Speaking after Sunday's match, he said: "I'm sure my dad will be happy with that. I can't really remember it [my goal].

"Frank Lampard flicked it on, I got it back off Wayne Rooney and just hit it.

"I'm just glad I could make a contribution. We wanted to close the game out so we are disappointed we didn't but we showed great passion and fight. Brazil are a great side but we kept our shape."

Chamberlain said he only realised his son had scored when the teenager's agent called him to tell him.

He added: "I was watching the game. It was a bit negative in the first half but England were more positive in the second half and Alex played well in the hole behind the strikers.

"He plays wide right, but that's his third-best position; midfield or playing behind the striker is his best position."

Later, after hearing his father had missed the goal, Oxlade-Chamberlain said: "Did he fall asleep? That sounds like him!"

:facepalm:
What a joke how could you fall asleep while your sons playing for England against Brazil

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very harsh.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Poor chap having to get up at 6am in the morning to drive someone to an airport then not being able to watch a game of Football on the tv 14 hours later where was the airport ****ing Moscow

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Does anyone remember Mark Chamberlain's brother, Neville, playing for the Albion?

I don't think his brother played for us. Did he?

He'd be another of our PM namesakes if he did after Harry Wilson ('Harold') and David Cameron

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Poor chap having to get up at 6am in the morning to drive someone to an airport then not being able to watch a game of Football on the tv 14 hours later where was the airport ****ing Moscow

Very much this, what a wanker, he's saying oh I was up early so couldn't stay awake to watch my son play against Brazil what a Pratt.

Having said that Alex has not seen the game his dad played in ??? If it was me I would have been showing that video constantly to my son, they don't sound a very close family TBH

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Very much this, what a wanker, he's saying oh I was up early so couldn't stay awake to watch my son play against Brazil what a Pratt.

Having said that Alex has not seen the game his dad played in ??? If it was me I would have been showing that video constantly to my son, they don't sound a very close family TBH

Maybe they have football in perspective.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
One game on trial. Any ideas?

Just had a look. Can't find any trace of him playing for us up to 1999 and surely he didn't have a trial in the Withdean years?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

When you've played for Brighton & Hove Albion, everything else (even your son playing a game against Brazil) pales in comparison.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
im sure hes used to seeing his son play top flight football, hes played for england before, and for arsenal countless times, its not like it was his first game...

it was a schitt game (up until then anyway) and we wernt exactly looking like scoring, he prob didnt even think the ox was coming on...

you cant help when you fall asleep, he prob had a beer or two aswell lol

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Fair enough I often fall a sleep watching England play.....Dull!

Ok then fair enough people seem to be defending him for falling asleep while his son was playing against Brazil then again I've falling asleep while making love a few times So I suppose I can forgive him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here