Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DSLR camera

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thinking of getting my first DSLR camera but haven't got a scooby on where to start, any advice please?

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Thinking of getting my first DSLR camera but haven't got a scooby on where to start, any advice please?

(1) Dont get hung up on megapixels,unless you are going to print above A2 size 10MP will be more than enough.
(2)You wont even look twice at a Hundredth of the pictures you take let alone print them.But you will still make a DVD copy to back up the copy on your Hard Drive and stick them all on your choice of external storage,some use "the Cloud" others take up offers of storage with their email provider,I have a terabyte external HD for mine.
(3)You will need a massive memory card (mine has 16GB ) and you still wont trust point (2) and still be reluctant to delete any pictures on it.
(4) Good editing software will make a massive improvement to your efforts an editing pictures can be fun but you still wont print them
(5) Photoshop is ****ing expensive and hard work so ignore (4)
(6) If you have experience of the concepts of 35mm film, The standard 50mm lens was designed so that in a given print size.When taking a portrait the proportion of subject to background was the same as the human eye would see it. Therefore a 200mm 35 mm film lens would give a subject 4 times larger as a proportion of background. DSLR lenses are generally half that. For a 35 mm film camera zoom lens of say 70mm-210 the DSLR equivelent is roughly 35-105 mm.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It also gets expensive as you get more equipment, my missus won't let me go near camera shops anymore :lolol:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
How much are you looking to spend? I'd recommend a Canon 600D, it's basically the same as the 650D and over £100 less.

You'd probably be good buying the body on its own, a 50mm prime lens and maybe a telephoto lens.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-600D-...TF8&qid=1370121372&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+600d
www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8-Le...qid=1370121225&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm+1.8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-...=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1370121420&sr=1-2

Although, with the sensor that the 600D uses, the 50mm acts like an 80mm and the 55-250 acts like an 88-400, so you'll have to stand back a bit! Alternatively instead of just buying the body you could get a standard kit lens, although they're not reknowned for picture quality.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Canon and Nikon are both great makes, but don't overlook Sony, they have come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years. (For what it's worth I have a Canon and quite a lot of glass)

I would go to >>>>>here<<<<<
There is so much info on that site you will not only be able to come away with an informed choice but quite possibly with some added knowledge of Digital photography.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
How much are you looking to spend? I'd recommend a Canon 600D, it's basically the same as the 650D and over £100 less.

You'd probably be good buying the body on its own, a 50mm prime lens and maybe a telephoto lens.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-600D-...TF8&qid=1370121372&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+600d
www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8-Le...qid=1370121225&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm+1.8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-S-...=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1370121420&sr=1-2

Although, with the sensor that the 600D uses, the 50mm acts like an 80mm and the 55-250 acts like an 88-400, so you'll have to stand back a bit! Alternatively instead of just buying the body you could get a standard kit lens, although they're not reknowned for picture quality.

Probably looking around the £500 mark, is that good or tight arse?

Thanks all for the advice, very helpfull

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I bought my first Dslr at the start of the year, I bought the nikon d5100 from park cameras at Burgess hill and it is a fabulous bit of kit, and got a very good deal with a couple of lenses too.
I also got 80 cashback from nikon, though not sure if they are still doing that deal, but would be worth asking.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
£500 you're looking at entry level dslr's, I started on the d3000 and upgraded to a bigger model when I got better at it. Big price jump when you go up from the D5000 range. D7000 and up you are going to the higher end market

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I had my first DSLR camera for my 40th, after alot of reasearch I went for the Nikon D3200 as an entry level....Fantastic bit of kit, cannot speak more highly of it....love it.... I also bought Nikon D3200 for dummies fabulous book from Amazon makes it all come together.

I think you will probably decide on either Cannon or Nikon (no real difference just personal taste) to be honest as they use a mirror lense rather than a processor

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
Talking of DSLRs, I've got a Canon 550d an am looking for some new lenses...anyone got any recommendations for brands or websites offering non-canon lenses?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Out of interest, why do you want a DSLR rather than, say, a compact system?

I think the latter suit the needs of most people (non-pros) these days.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here