Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have restaurants that accept coupons put their prices up to compensate?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I went to Loch Fyne the other evening armed with a "20% off food" coupon. I used to go to Loch Fyne quite regularly (pre the coupon craze) and I'm convinced their prices have increased fairly steeply.

Seeing as how everyone is using coupons for everything I am guessing that restaurants have put up their prices in order to achieve the same net earnings as in the pre-coupon days? Woe betide the poor sod who goes to eat there without a coupon!

Was my dinner any cheaper than pre-coupon times? I doubt it.

And Top Table. Great offers, but at the majority of restaurants you are offered a special Top Table menu with limited choice and smaller portions. Now I don't object to the smaller portions personally as i don't have an enormous appetite, but you do get the impression sometimes that the whole thing is a bit of a rip-off.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
On experience, yes. Local place here does a "€60 for €20" voucher and their prices have gone through the roof since doing it, a "gourmet" burger and chips is nearly €20 in and of itself now.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Pizza restaurant coupons are still a good deal. Prices haven't risen too steeply and a 12" pizza will always be a 12" pizza.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On experience, yes. Local place here does a "€60 for €20" voucher and their prices have gone through the roof since doing it, a "gourmet" burger and chips is nearly €20 in and of itself now.

Burger and chips for €20 in the current financial climate? Route One to going bust I'd have thought :wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jul 7, 2003
Food prices generally have gone up a fair bit recently - your local supermarket shop should demonstrate that. However, I think those places that constantly offer promotions have been frequently 'adjusting' their prices.

A prime example is Pizza Express- I reckon in the last year most of the pizzas have gone up by around 20% but can't remember the last time we paid full price as there is always some kind of offer available online either through their own website, vouchercodes, etc.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that the ads appearing on this thread are for ..... restaurant coupons. So that's how t'internet works???

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
On a similar note, I think that the price for a Dominos Pizza is ridiculous. £17 for a large?!
Even if you do the two-for-tuesday deal, that's 2 large pizzas for £17. You could easy pop down to Co-op* and pick up a couple of pizzas to chuck in the oven for a fiver.

*other food shops are available

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Burger and chips for €20 in the current financial climate? Route One to going bust I'd have thought :wave:

Apparently the presentation and the atmosphere in the place makes it "worth it". Was about €8 before they started doing the apparently fantastic value vouchers.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
On a similar note, I think that the price for a Dominos Pizza is ridiculous. £17 for a large?!
Even if you do the two-for-tuesday deal, that's 2 large pizzas for £17. You could easy pop down to Co-op* and pick up a couple of pizzas to chuck in the oven for a fiver.

*other food shops are available

But Pizza Express and similar charge around £9. Dominos is an absolute con in the pizza world.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
even better.. morrisons etc create your own pizzas... 2 for 4 quid.. as choose the most expensive meaty toppings, then add on the onions etc when you get home. always better for a non-cheese eater like myself! i suppose you could then take said pizza and sit down the park with a bottle of white lightning for a really special ambiance!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Broken down into its component parts, a pizza is nothing more than a freshly baked open sandwich. Do folk really pay twenty quid for a sarny?

Daft argument m'lud, if I may be so bold. Broken down into its component parts, beer is nothing more than a load of water and a few plant husks and - implausibly - some ground-up fish bones. Do folk really pay four quid for it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Broken down into its component parts, a pizza is nothing more than a freshly baked open sandwich. Do folk really pay twenty quid for a sarny?

if you considered the size of the large pizza and the price of say an M&S sarnie, then yes they do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here