Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paris and the Pompidou Centre

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Am planning a visit to Paris in the summer, has anyone been to the Pompidou Centre? Is it worth seeing or a load of pretentious art noveau guff. Also - any hidden gems to visit?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pompidou Centre is a bit tired these days as built a while back but some good art to be seen mostly modern.

Louvre is good, if you are taking kids I would highly recommend the Science Museum which is at the the end of on tube line and is absolutely astonishingly good and kid friendly.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Pompidou Centre is a bit tired these days as built a while back but some good art to be seen mostly modern.

Louvre is good, if you are taking kids I would highly recommend the Science Museum which is at the the end of on tube line and is absolutely astonishingly good and kid friendly.

Thanks Beachy :)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The Pompidou Centre houses the museum of modern art, so it is a question of whether that is your cup of tea...can't say that it really is mine. The view from the top of the Pompidou Centre is worth seeing though. If you prefer more traditional art, Musee D'Orsay is a better bet as it houses many 19th century classics. I tend to spend time in Paris just walking rather than looking at specific sites and the size of the place makes this possible, the Marais district is particularly interesting. Not to everyone's tastes but Pere Lachaise cemetary is quite atmospheric. My favourite park in Paris is Buttes Chaumont, well off the tourist trail in the Belleville neighbourhood.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Pompidou worth a visit for surrounding atmosphere but not necessarily for the (expensive) exhibitions, pop up to the café restaurant which has a roof terrace for a break, there are often quite good buskers etc on the concourse outside.

would also recommend the Musee d'Orsay overlooking the Seine. The Jardins Citreon are free to enter, modernist buildings with fountains which can be nice for the kids to cool off under on a hot day

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Great little restaurant just around the corner - "Le Hangar" Address: 12 Impasse Berthaud, 75003 Paris, Phone:+33 1 42 74 55 44

Always eat there when I can.

All the best stuff is on the outside. Take a stroll around the outside and then make for the Louvre.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Great little restaurant just around the corner - "Le Hangar" Address: 12 Impasse Berthaud, 75003 Paris, Phone:+33 1 42 74 55 44

Always eat there when I can.

Looks decent Mr Prankster - will give it a try and will report back to you in the Profile Lounge :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks decent Mr Prankster - will give it a try and will report back to you in the Profile Lounge :)

How come you get to go to these fancy places and I get Nandos?

I rate the Pompidou Centre - as a building and as a venue. And there is often some decent stuff happening in the square outside. But it all depends on what is being exhibited at the time.

Once upon a long time ago, the heir to the Bracknell title and his chums from BrightonArt were commissioned to mount an autumn season exhibition there.

http://www.gridio.com/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here