Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Clough

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How would you feel about him taking over here? I ask this with no inside knowledge and no idea if he has even appeared in TB's top 100 choices or how long he has left on his Derby contract.

He has a bit of experience, is used to working on a tight budget and seems to accept it. His teams play pretty good football with plenty of youth in the side.

For me he'd seem a better fit than nearly all the potential realistic managers mentioned so far and importantly he seems to care and I've never once heard him tout himself, how refreshing that would be.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We could do a lot worse. And it would be 40 years after his dad joined us.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
More miserable than his Dad and not even remotely witty. Done nothing at Derby except avoided relegation

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hasnt really done much, might do better not living in his dad's shadow, but coming here would hardly help that.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He seems to like building teams up from nothing over a four, five year timescale. Trouble is other teams keep taking his better players and he never quite gets his teams into the promotion frame. So no, I like the way he constructs teams but it takes too long and there's no end product.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I always think he's a bit disparaging towards us and also turned down coming on loan, to stay in Forest's reserves years ago. So 'no'. Hasn't achieved a lot in any case.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not much chance of Nigel Clough saying: 'Of course I'm bigger than Brighton. I'm bigger than Derby County too. I made them. They didn't make me.'

My biggest concern would be about him thinking Brighton were playing 'all right' despite the opposition scoring eight past us. He has previous in this regard.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not much chance of Nigel Clough saying: 'Of course I'm bigger than Brighton. I'm bigger than Derby County too. I made them. They didn't make me.'

My biggest concern would be about him thinking Brighton were playing 'all right' despite the opposition scoring eight past us. He has previous in this regard.
:lolol:

No thanks

and this

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Nigel's blue and white army?

For obvious reasons, would be pretty toe curling to have a Nigel in charge.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
He has always been committed to the clubs he has been at though. He was at Burton for 10 years and built slowly but surely - they got promoted to the football league the year he left. I get the feeling he is doing the same at Derby. With plenty of patience and the backing of a decent chairman (like he had at Burton and has at Derby) I think he would do a decent job over the longer term

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I reckon Derby are a good bet to make the play offs next season. They looked a good young side down here and if a few of their youngsters continue to improve they can go places.

No chance of an approach or any serious interest would be my guess.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I reckon Derby are a good bet to make the play offs next season. They looked a good young side down here and if a few of their youngsters continue to improve they can go places.

No chance of an approach or any serious interest would be my guess.

Yes I tend to agree. But a fair shout by the OP - I think thats exactly the type of manager we should be after, someone who is going to stick about and appreciate what they have

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely not. Might as well settle for mid-table for the next six seasons running. Anyway would never come here. He manages Derby because he likes the East Midlands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here