Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internet Gaming Cafe new business advice please

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I have been approached by someone I know quite well with a business proposition, which will require me to put up the money for the venture. My prospective partner in this business is much younger than I and very knowledgeable in computer technology, of which field I am a generation or three behind. I have known him and his wife and young family for some time and believe honesty is not an issue.

The business plan he has presented to me is for an Internet Café with Gaming, initially with between 6 and 8 computers. I have an existing shop which could be easily split to accommodate and continue the existing business.

My question is has the Internet/Gaming café passed or passing its sell by date or is there still a market for this for younger people?

Thank you for your help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who's going to be the manager?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
In Japan, China or South Korea there would be a market as they're always crammed over there, highly doubt it over here though. I'm no expert, just my opinion.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I'd be very wary of a gaming cafe. You'll probably have a few regulars, but they won't be able to pay lots of money on a daily basis so I suspect you'll struggle to make ends meet. It's not the type of thing that lends itself to people popping in on a casual basis.

But if your partner is convinced that it's such a great idea ask them to show you a similar setup in a similar town so you can see how well it's doing.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
You do get some that are successful but they are in good locations and have lots of powerful machines with lots of games so all tastes are catered for and groups of friends can play together

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I have been approached by someone I know quite well with a business proposition, which will require me to put up the money for the venture. My prospective partner in this business is much younger than I and very knowledgeable in computer technology, of which field I am a generation or three behind. I have known him and his wife and young family for some time and believe honesty is not an issue.

The business plan he has presented to me is for an Internet Café with Gaming, initially with between 6 and 8 computers. I have an existing shop which could be easily split to accommodate and continue the existing business.

My question is has the Internet/Gaming café passed or passing its sell by date or is there still a market for this for younger people?

Thank you for your help.

you'll need decent gaming pcs and a bunch of games to get people through the door, which is quite a bit of an outlay (and dont know how often you would have to upgrade, depending on newer games etc), and from what i remember they dont charge that much per hour
with fibreoptic broadband becoming widely available, i dont know whether or not its worth pursuing tbh. i would almost venture to say you'd have as many foreign tourists coming in to skype with relatives than gamers, but i could be wrong

there was a gaming cafe in brighton down the road from the station down that underpass next to dominos, dont know how much it was used, but whenever i went (back in the day before i had broadband) it was never full, and not that expensive

few years back i think they brought in some BIG gaming centers in old virgin megastores (cant remember the names of them), whether they are still there i dont know

i would be very wary of this tbh, i dont think theres that much of a market for it with more people playing consoles nowadays, and its just not part of western culture to go to gaming cafes like it is in asia, people are more likely to go to a mates and play multiplayer on a console (i've been to hong kong, and they go to net cafes all the time to play world of warcraft and shooting games etc, and the arcades there are WICKED)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I worked in an internet cafe for two years during university, they owned two fairly large and well fitted out places (about 30 computers each) on Oxford High Street and the Coach Station. They went bust.

The problem is they were packed all Summer with students but during the winter there just wasn't enough trade and the losses made in winter weren't covered by the profits made in Summer. There were a few gamer type, usually russian students playing counter strike, and loudly banging away at the table.

I do think there is a place for a 'cool' gaming place but you'd have to be a brave person to try it- maybe have lots of incentives, tournaments etc but you'd have to get advice from somebody in that 'scene'.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
If you're running it as part of an existing shop you might find a market, although more so on the internet café element of it. There are several shops in Brighton that are set up like this, generally used by tourists/foreign students who don't have access at home. However, I'd be concerned if it was to become the main business, rather than a sideline. You might get a little success if you can really build a following, hosting tournaments and offering prizes. However, that's a much bigger risk obviously.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps you should put a poll on here. "Would you use one?" Apart from students abroad I personally can't see a market.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
few years back i think they brought in some BIG gaming centers in old virgin megastores (cant remember the names of them), whether they are still there i dont know

I was in an HMV in central London a while ago and that appeared to have a very busy gaming cafe in the back

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Both in Hastings over recent years dissappeared fairly quick. Wouldn't be my choice but then Brighton is bigger. Not sure about there but here we have LOADS of foreign students but they email on smart phones and stuff now so that 'market' is out. Also think anybody with enough money to spend to be a 'regular' customer, would have enough to have their own gaming machine at home.

Firefly

GTAV NSC Crew
Apr 8, 2010
There seem to be plenty in my part of North London. ALthough I have to say you see them in the less selubrious nighbourhoods, normaly in the same premisies as a fried chicken shop. They have saved my ass a number of times when i have had IT issues at home. If you are in a area where there are lots of people without acess to the net it would be good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would've thought most who were really into that sort of thing would just set it up "LAN parties" at home, no?

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
Defo a no from me.
I'm a gamer and there is no way that I would go play in a café.
That goes for a lot of my friends too.
You are asking in the wrong place here.
Go to http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/ and register.
This is where a lot of tech heads \ pc gamers hang out.
Ask either in the General Discussion thread or in the PC Games section.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Used to be big probably 10+ years ago, when home internet connections were slow, but these days, anyone can get their PC or PS3 etc online relatively cheap, with a good connection.

To do some kind of 'LAN' style thing could work, but you'd want a pretty loyal fan base, and I imagine scale bigger than you have set out. The other problem is computers change so much, the real value proposition is to have 'the' current best computer, to make people want to be there, else if you have some 18 month old PC, and some kid has better at home, why go to you place.

Personally sounds an outdated concept to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here