England vs New Zealand in first ODI at Lords

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
come on england

NZ have won the toss and will have a bowl

no broad or finn

England squad
Alastair Cook (capt), Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan, Jos Buttler (wkt), Chris Woakes, Tim Bresnan, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Jade Dernbach

New Zealand team
BB McCullum*, L Ronchi†, MJ Guptill, KS Williamson, LRPL Taylor, GD Elliott, JEC Franklin, NL McCullum, TG Southee, KD Mills, MJ McClenaghan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arent Trott and Bell to slow to score for the 1 day game. Why isnt Mat Prior behind the stumps he is still the best in England and good with the bat plus scores quite quickly in the 1 day game.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wearing red just doesn't seem right.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
England 32/0 off 8

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Arent Trott and Bell to slow to score for the 1 day game. Why isnt Mat Prior behind the stumps he is still the best in England and good with the bat plus scores quite quickly in the 1 day game.

- His ODI record for England really wasn't that great.
- I suspect there is a feeling that he is too important to the test side to risk injury because genuinely we have no viable replacement for him.
- Actually both Buttler & Kieswetter have outperformed him in the one day county scene in recent years.
- There is a feeling that whilst his scoring rate is good he can be a little one paced. I can't think there are many players with a lesser difference between their Test & One Day strike rates.

His numbers compare very unfavourably with the two you mention

Cook Ave 40.26 Strike Rate 78.44
Trott Ave 50.61 Strike Rate 75.40
Prior Ave 24.18 Strike Rate 76.76

I'm not saying I agree with it, personally I think he should be given another go batting at 6 or 7 consistently. There areno doubts about his keeping any more.

Still - it's Sussex's gain.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
- His ODI record for England really wasn't that great.
- I suspect there is a feeling that he is too important to the test side to risk injury because genuinely we have no viable replacement for him.
- Actually both Buttler & Kieswetter have outperformed him in the one day county scene in recent years.
- There is a feeling that whilst his scoring rate is good he can be a little one paced. I can't think there are many players with a lesser difference between their Test & One Day strike rates.

His numbers compare very unfavourably with the two you mention

Cook Ave 40.26 Strike Rate 78.44
Trott Ave 50.61 Strike Rate 75.40
Prior Ave 24.18 Strike Rate 76.76

I'm not saying I agree with it, personally I think he should be given another go batting at 6 or 7 consistently. There areno doubts about his keeping any more.

Still - it's Sussex's gain.

Yep. While it's a shame, Prior's been given the opportunities and not taken them.

And Trott and Cook are probably our best ODI batsmen at the mo

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
5 down. Never mind the dependable Sussex wicketkeeper will get us out of trouble. Oh? :down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here