Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier league and money in football

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I was chatting to a colleague who was asking me about the goings on at Brighton the last few weeks. After filling him in with part fact part gossip I asked him if he supported a team. I could tell he was fairly knowledgeable about football even though I knew he was into Motorsport, primarily bikes. He told me he was an Arsenal fan and used to go to Highbury but the advent of the premier league, increased foreign imports and huge amounts of money in the game had turned him off football totally. Now, I kind of understand his stance regarding the silly money that is thrown about in the game these days, and I respect him over the armchair supporters I've met who have switched teams depending who is successful at the time. But the Albion have been such a massive part of my life, (this club is often all I think of all day) I struggle to comprehend how football fans can walk away from the sport and their clubs.
What's your take on this and money in football in general?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I could maybe understand tiring of the commercial side of the game, but what about the sport itself? I can't imagine not being wowed by what footballers continue to do, however much they get paid.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I could maybe understand tiring of the commercial side of the game, but what about the sport itself? I can't imagine not being wowed by what footballers continue to do, however much they get paid.

This is exactly how I feel, I love football and watch it as much as I can, much to the wife's annoyance.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We all know the money's wrong for some players but that's just the way the market is. The football talent we've had in this country over the last 10-20 years though has been fantastic. I can fully understand people supporting their more local side with lower prices and a different atmosphere & there's a lot of fun to be had, but that doesn't have to go hand in hand with hating the Premier League. I just wish football as a whole would shift gear towards making all clubs more competitive as it's in danger of killing the golden goose but then self-interest has dominated for decades - it's not a new thing.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
How could he not be on the edge of his seat for the England/Ireland game supporting our captain Ashley and Co. giving their blood, sweat and tears for the cause..... Oh!!hang on

Seriously though that's what happens when you don't support your home town club from a young age with all the memories and history burned onto your brain. I turned over to watch Springwatch well before half time on Wednesday and often these days don't bother with MOTD unless an interesting match is going to be on or an unexpected result occurs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yeah, because motor sport is inexpensive? i believe people have always fallen in and out of love with football (and any other pasttime or hobby), the money in football is just a reason or excuse. if you didnt read the papers you wouldnt know about the money side.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Well reading about what is going on at Monaco got me thinking... It's not that bad here, really. Yes, there are teams spending lots of money, but mostly in this country at least, we have high attendances. Monaco averaged 5,200 last season, and will now probably spend £100m in the summer. I hope they get a complete ban from the champions league as that is just absolutely insane.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
yeah, because motor sport is inexpensive? i believe people have always fallen in and out of love with football (and any other pasttime or hobby), the money in football is just a reason or excuse. if you didnt read the papers you wouldnt know about the money side.

I think yoyo may notice having to pay £70 to go to a game.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Was the game better before the Prem started? I think so. Was the England team better before the Prem started? Definitely.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was chatting to a colleague who was asking me about the goings on at Brighton the last few weeks. After filling him in with part fact part gossip I asked him if he supported a team. I could tell he was fairly knowledgeable about football even though I knew he was into Motorsport, primarily bikes. He told me he was an Arsenal fan and used to go to Highbury but the advent of the premier league, increased foreign imports and huge amounts of money in the game had turned him off football totally. Now, I kind of understand his stance regarding the silly money that is thrown about in the game these days, and I respect him over the armchair supporters I've met who have switched teams depending who is successful at the time. But the Albion have been such a massive part of my life, (this club is often all I think of all day) I struggle to comprehend how football fans can walk away from the sport and their clubs.
What's your take on this and money in football in general?

I have two mates dating back to the late 70's, one was a die-hard Chelsea fan and the other a Man City fan. They both still live local to their clubs and neither of them has gone anywhere near them for 15 years or more. Both totally turned off by the money thrown at the teams and players and the behaviour of the players e.g. kissing the badge when they have zero loyalty for the club and diving like swallows whenever anyone goes near them. The ex-Chelsea fan wouldn't p**s on Abramovich if he was on fire.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I started supporting the Albion in the early 60s, just after the minimum wage was abolished. Players went from getting the bus to getting a lift from someone who had a car! Whilst most people sympathised with the players, I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams would have thought that some players today would earn more in a week, than some people would earn in their lifetime. The distance between us is incredible.
The whole thing is one great gravy train from non league to the Premiership. The same old faces intertwining clubs, huge salaries, bringing in their own gang of cronies and having no real interest in the history of the club and its supporters.
Yes, I do get fed up with it all and I have to say I am quite happy supporting my club in th championship, and not that bothered at not joining the rat race of premier football.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Was the England team better before the Prem started? Definitely.

Was it though? Bar Italia '90 we have not exactly been a world force since the 60s. Imports into the league have not helped but personally I think the lack of quality youth coaching has far more to do with the lack of a quality international team

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was the game better before the Prem started? I think so. Was the England team better before the Prem started? Definitely.
Wow that's a bold and wrong statement.

Perennial second round & quarter finalists v failure to quality through the 70's and 80's.

We are still sh*te, but because of the media we aren't as sh*te as we think.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The money in the sport goes against so much of what I believe in - I lost interest in the Premiership many years ago, from watching Match of the Day religiously to not at all.

It is the Albion that keeps me interested, but I can see that changing in the future. Most of us love the fact that BHAFC is more like a professional business, with a shiny new stadium, expensive players etc - I love it too, I think - but paradoxically the whole corporate experience we now have is almost like the first nail in the coffin for me.

As a kid, there was a lot to get excited about with football - Spending so much time in the park & playground playing it, talking about it, trading stickers etc etc

But as an adult it's more about the community & experience for me - but it's increasingly apparent that money saps this out of the game to the point I am starting to wonder why I am still interested, I feel that I'm probably just desperately clinging onto my favourite childhood pastime for nostalgic reasons.

I can see myself coming to my senses and giving it up altogether in the not too distant future. When we reach the Premier League, perhaps.

Very much this.

If it was not for Palace I would have no intrest in football.

The one thing I did like was knowing that on Saturday at 12.00 me and my mates would be in the pub having a pint...and I feel a bit sad that the prize of the Prem has taken that away, with games either at silly times or Monday nights.

Also if Palace started paying players even more silly money my season ticket would not be re-newed.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
The average wage bill that a team has paid to their players and lasted the season I'm the premiership is around £42 million palaces wage bill last year was about £12 million

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
North London mate of mine, also an Arsenal fan and Highbury North Bank season ticket holder, gave it up years ago. Went from being a football fanatic to having almost no interest in the Premiership game overnight. For me, I can't see myself stumping up stupid money to see BHA at places like The Emirates and the like.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Along similar lines I did this blog on why £125m prize for promotion represents all that is wrong with football in this country and not a cause for media celebration. Click HERE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
North London mate of mine, also an Arsenal fan and Highbury North Bank season ticket holder, gave it up years ago. Went from being a football fanatic to having almost no interest in the Premiership game overnight. For me, I can't see myself stumping up stupid money to see BHA at places like The Emirates and the like.

I think we all would once, and it would take a few seasons to get round 'the' grounds.
But once the novelty has worn off, spending £70+ (that's what it'll be by then) to see a forgone conclusion, will be hard to stomach.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here