Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expanding Falmer Further

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
So after increasing our capacity to 30,000 odd we're filling it nicely. Worth expanding the north and south a bit or is it pointless seeing as we're staying in the Championship for at least another season?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
no room

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You might squeeze in a few more dozen but that'd be it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Probably another thread on this somewhere :lolol:

I imagine there is scope for expansion at some point, not sure there is the motivation or need to do it next season though.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I don't think it's possible for further expansion. The limit has been reached I believe without further planning applications and construction changes etc.

I think it's great as it is and we don't need any more...

Jameson

I heard from someone in the know that the North Stand could be expanded at the back but they would need to lose their offices currently located there. Presumably need to re-locate security box and screen too.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
There's room for a few more - look for the upper tiers in the corners - Also potential for more seats or even a second tier in the north/south?

Let's quash this now. There is absolutely no more scope for increasing the seating at the stadium. The arches above the West and East Stand roofs essentially are holding the entire structure in place, and if you look carefully, the rods for holding them in place go under the roof in each stand. They meet at the points in the North and South stands, effectively ruling out the ability to increase the seating.

If they could they would have just done it this time round.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
There's room for a few more - look for the upper tiers in the corners - Also potential for more seats or even a second tier in the north/south?

I'd say so. Surely there's a view to expand the north and south at some point. The ends are crazy out of proportion and, despite planning permission, I can't see how the ground would remain like that 'forever'.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I heard from someone in the know that the North Stand could be expanded at the back but they would need to lose their offices currently located there. Presumably need to re-locate security box and screen too.

There's external doors on the stadium marked North Upper, so maybe one day. I'd have thought the offices would move to the training ground when available.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
There's external doors on the stadium marked North Upper, so maybe one day. I'd have thought the offices would move to the training ground when available.

No they won't. The offices on the second floor of the North Stand (i.e club coaches etc) will move to the Training Ground. The club offices are staying right where they are.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Let's quash this now. There is absolutely no more scope for increasing the seating at the stadium. The arches above the West and East Stand roofs essentially are holding the entire structure in place, and if you look carefully, the rods for holding them in place go under the roof in each stand. They meet at the points in the North and South stands, effectively ruling out the ability to increase the seating.

If they could they would have just done it this time round.

Let's not quash

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Falmer Train Station would need upgrading as well. That aint going to be cheap...I really can't see Southern Trains paying for a station upgrade, can you?!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No they won't. The offices on the second floor of the North Stand (i.e club coaches etc) will move to the Training Ground. The club offices are staying right where they are.

Interesting about the signs for North Upper though ???

If there was a need, and an economic case, and the council was onboard, I'm sure there would be some 'can-do' architects who could deliver a solution for increased capacity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told from the outset that the footing were sufficient for another tier if required but it would mean a lot of construction work and more planning applications. As has been said the most difficult things is getting permission originally, which we have so the rest would be reasonably simple if needed, which is not at the moment.

Oct 11, 2005
London

That would be amazing.. the North stand is way too small at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
30,750 puts us in line with other provincial new builds - from 28,000 at Stoke to 32,000 at all the cookie cutter bowls. Some are actually a fair bit smaller (Wigan, Bolton, Huddersfield etc)

It doesn't really make much sense to increase capacity. If demand does exceed the ground size, it won't be all that often to make commercial sense.

On this subject, I was reading in the Standard that Palace want to increase Selhurst to a 35-40,000 all seater with some of their Premiership money because a move to Crystal Palace is now a non starter. I did chuckle at that. How exactly do they plan on doing that then? At one end there is a supermarket and either side has rows of housing. No chance!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Interesting about the signs for North Upper though ???

If there was a need, and an economic case, and the council was onboard, I'm sure there would be some 'can-do' architects who could deliver a solution for increased capacity.

You can't put the foundations required for extra seating without taking the whole stadium apart (or certainly all of the roof). Given that the stadium was designed by a 'can-do' architect, I don't fancy the chances of finding a way around it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here