Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important to you is the style of football we play?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was gonna do a poll but am unsure on the options to give, so help me out here

Would you be willing to accept hoofball if it got us promoted?

Would you rather we continued to play as we do now and accept that we may not get promoted playing that way?

Don't care, it's all about getting promoted

Other options?

There were loads on here who didn't give a shit how England played under Sven as long as we won. I remember that his style of score a goal and sit on it put me off watching England, even if we were very successful until we met world class teams. Is winning what it is all about or do you need to be entertained as well?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Entertaining football. We may not have gone up last season but I found it a joy to watch. I was looking forward to every game, something that hadn't happened for many years.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like the way we play, but would prefer if we tweaked it to be a bit more direct with a bit more tempo. There were times this season that we would have created some really good chances (in games we went on to draw/lose) if we'd played balls forward rather than slowing it down and going sideways/backwards. Especially when we won possession and could counter.

I like Hammond but he sticks in my mind as being one who would get the ball on the halfway line with a bit of space and players making runs ahead of him, but would just drift forward with the ball before turning around and going the other way and thus we've lost the momentum and they've got players back

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I enjoyed last season more so than I have many before but would have liked a little more cut and thrust when it required it but unfortunately we didnt have the players for that type of direct football. I suppose it boils down to having a Plan B if Plan A isnt working. i wouldnt want or be able to accept 100% route one football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see the logic or any evidence in the idea hoof-ball has a better chance of getting you promoted. It's a dumb idea we have after years and years of desperate English football. I first and foremost want to be entertained and to see my team do what their supposed to do ie be footballers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder if ANY German, Spanish, Italian, French etc etc football club chat rooms are having this discussion?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
For the last few seasons, we have played a controlled style, with perhaps too much caution. I believe we did have the players to be a bit more incisive, but it was as if they were told not to be so. If we could play the same style, but add a bit more venom in the final third , we‘d flourish???

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I like this style of play we've adopted, but there has been a few times you could see an opposing defence could have been turned by a more direct approach. Problems can arise with the if we don't concede, we won't lose mentality. There's still problems with the we can out score them idea as well. As you go higher up the leagues, teams are more organised and chances harder to create

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Must be with attacking flair but MUST HAVE A PLAN B

What is your idea of plan B? A totally different approach or tweaking plan A?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As you go higher up the leagues, teams are more organised and chances harder to create

True. But you don't necessarily need a different system just a more reliable striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if ANY German, Spanish, Italian, French etc etc football club chat rooms are having this discussion?

Obviously non as we are debating whether the old fashioned BRITISH style of direct football will help us out of this division, it may do, but it patently wouldn't work on the International stage. I'm not in favour but look what Stoke have achieved playing it, not pretty but effective. I doubt that they would have done as well for so long, results wise, if they hadn't played that way. I actually quite like the idea of teams like Stoke, personally don't want us to go down that route myself as I'd take being entertained and being there or thereabouts to winning at all costs. I love the Championship, I expect I'd hate seeing us in the Premier League at the moment, after the initial thrill had worn off. If you're not a top 6 or 7 team you are just making up the numbers in a mini league, give me the competitive Championship any day when a Peterborough can do the double over the Champions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stoke have spent an excessively large amount of money to have a style of play derided by many including the paying 'customers'.

Hoofball might get us promoted, but it won't keep us up.

I love our identity, our Spanish imports and our quality of goals.
The prospect of an English manager leaves me cold.

I want someone to take Gus' template make the couple of minor adjustments, so I can sit back and watch us soar.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
When does it cease to be hoofball and become a long 50 yard pass to set the winger or forward racing away in a 50-50 chase for the ball

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here