Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scarborough McCain Stadium

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Late 90s I remember going to a away game at Scarborough, this week I'm at a wedding in Scarborough and went to find the stadium, not a nice sight its just a builders dumping ground, it makes me realise it could have been us how lucky we are really.

Noldi

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Before somebody throws up the "this thread is worthless without pics" thing...

17.jpg

There is something very sad about a ground that has lost its purpose. There are plenty more of these on Google images.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Wow. Had no idea that was the situation there. Very sad. Not sure what's worse ... to see an old ground gradually get reclaimed by nature, or watch it get bulldozed to make way for a new branch of DfS.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Remember I drove there from Nottingham for Friday evening game in 97?. Lost 2-1

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's quite creepy, isn't it? Some friends live close by and I had a browse. Slowly being eroded away by vandals.

The town seems to be full of Newcastle fans.

It wasn't too long ago that they gave Chelsea a bit of a scare.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Theatre of Chips.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I went there for their first ever Football League game. I think their opponents were Wolves? During the game a spectator fell from the roof of one of the stands and sustained severe injury but can't remember if he recovered or died.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another bit of Scarborough history: I seem to recall that they were once sponsored by a company called Black Death Vodka. The font used for Black Death's logo was a sort of dripping blood effect, albeit in black not red.

The Football League banned the shirts because they deemed it inappropriate. Probably wouldn't happen now...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I went there for their first ever Football League game. I think their opponents were Wolves? During the game a spectator fell from the roof of one of the stands and sustained severe injury but can't remember if he recovered or died.

He didn't die, no.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Thank you, Edna

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thank you, Edna

:thumbsup:

(I think he might have needed reviving, and he wasn't too well for a while, but he survived the fall).

Weren't Scarborough the first club to be automatically promoted to the Football League, as opposed to the old re-election routine?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As I remember, Yes! Probably why I made a point of going!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Remember I drove there from Nottingham for Friday evening game in 97?. Lost 2-1

Seem to remember our keeper (Ormerod?) lying on the ground having been polexaexed by a challenge when they scored one of their goals.

Sad to see how low they've fallen - Scarborough is a place I've got a soft spot for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here