Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where can Poyet go?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
With Stoke looking likely to appoint Hughes this morning, what is left for Poyet next season?

Chelsea and Man City - no chance.

Everton - he's nowhere near the top of their list.

Brighton - in my mind this is never going to happen.

Unless Newcastle or Leicester sack their respective managers, that only really leaves abroad or...

Wigan. The same division as us. Whealan is quoted as saying he wants a "hungry manager who has Wigan at heart". With recent events here, I can't see that fits Poyet's description either...

It's going to be hard to offload him so we may have to bite the bullet and lose the compensation.

Thoughts?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He could bide his time take the wages, go nowhere and really google up our pre-season. Is he a vindictive man ?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
With the parachute payments they will be getting Wigan will have the budget that Poyet reckons he deserves and he is also hungry for success and his ambition to be in the Prem ASAP will fit in well with Wigan. I think there might be some legs in this one. Whelan, like Bloom, will pretty much let Gus get on with it as well and won't be breathing down his neck all the time.

It's just a case of Gus keeping his ego down long enough to get a big contract.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
He could bide his time take the wages, go nowhere and really google up our pre-season. Is he a vindictive man ?

This is looking the most likely outcome at the moment . Is he a vindictive man ? My gut feeling is he probably is .

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
With the parachute payments they will be getting Wigan will have the budget that Poyet reckons he deserves and he is also hungry for success and his ambition to be in the Prem ASAP will fit in well with Wigan. I think there might be some legs in this one. Whelan, like Bloom, will pretty much let Gus get on with it as well and won't be breathing down his neck all the time.

It's just a case of Gus keeping his ego down long enough to get a big contract.

Whelan praises Martinez's honesty and enjoyed a "close friendship" with him. Unless he's looking to change direction, I can't see that Poyet is his man, especially after recent events.

I full agree that Wigan is a good match for Gus though as he wants money. There or Leicester, if available, are the best matches for both parties in my opinion (now Stoke has gone).

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Gus will be paid off shortly as not looking like any club want him at moment, so he will either go abroad to some mid table Spanish club, or will sit at home and wait until the first managerial sacking in November/December in the premiership or top of the championship becomes available - my guess is either Fulham, Newcastle or even Sunderland if Di Canio implodes quickly and in championship, Leeds or QPR - as he'll be available immediately there will be plenty of clubs who'll think compared to the normal dross who seem up for every job, may as well give him a chance as he's media friendly, young and talks a good game.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Hughes has been confirmed as Stoke manager this morning

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hughes has been confirmed as Stoke manager this morning

image.jpg

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm not sure that the rest of the footballing world shares the view that Gus is destined for big-time management and has the skills and personality to make this happen. As the OP suggests, there aren't any obvious vacancies that would appear to be right for him.

Regardless of the outcome of the current investigation, I would think that many chairmen will hear alarm bells ringing at the mention of Poyet's name. Not because he doesn't have potential to improve, or because his work at Brighton hasn't been impressive. There are clearly issues to address with Gus's ego, that only a placid (and probably wealthy) chairman will tolerate.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I suspect his ambition probably trumps any vindictiveness. I can't imagine he would want to sit around watching his own career stagnate. Does he have the means to buy out his own contract?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
With Stoke looking likely to appoint Hughes this morning, what is left for Poyet next season?

Chelsea and Man City - no chance.

Everton - he's nowhere near the top of their list.

Brighton - in my mind this is never going to happen.

Unless Newcastle or Leicester sack their respective managers, that only really leaves abroad or...

Wigan. The same division as us. Whealan is quoted as saying he wants a "hungry manager who has Wigan at heart". With recent events here, I can't see that fits Poyet's description either...

It's going to be hard to offload him so we may have to bite the bullet and lose the compensation.

Thoughts?

This is exactly mrs Blue2 and I were saying earlier today Gus is I fear running out of options in this country, he had a great job should have committed and delivered then a big club would have picked him up, but as it is he was constantly putting himself on the for sale board and not showing commitment to his employer.

It's really sad for all concerned he brought a fantastic style of play that was at times a joy to watch, he was able to attract big names and was genuinely improving the team year on year

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here