Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dizapam

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
Any one ever been on this. My brother was on 40mg a day and is now down to 8mg a day .the gp is cutting it back by 2mg every 2 weeks. We are concered as he seems to be getting more depressed even though he is taking anti depressants. Anyone else come off this drug and can offer help or advice.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
I work in a pharmacy. Unfortunately one of the major side effects of diazepam is you get dependant on them after a while. Like with anything you get dependent on, for example sleeping tablets, smoking, alcohol etc, it all has an adverse effect. One of which can be depression. I would advise that of the anti-depressants aren't doing their job properly then to go back to the GP and try a different drug. There are loads available, it's a case of finding which works best for the current situation. Hope that helps.

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
I work in a pharmacy. Unfortunately one of the major side effects of diazepam is you get dependant on them after a while. Like with anything you get dependent on, for example sleeping tablets, smoking, alcohol etc, it all has an adverse effect. One of which can be depression. I would advise that of the anti-depressants aren't doing their job properly then to go back to the GP and try a different drug. There are loads available, it's a case of finding which works best for the current situation. Hope that helps.
Thanks the gp said the diazepam stops the antidepressents from working.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I have been on Diazepam for 15 years or more, I have come off of it many times, but found it too hard to stay 'clean' for long. The withdrawal side effects are horrendous and should never be taken lightly. I hope the following links may be of some use.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

I have accepted that after so many years of use I am 'happy' at where I am at, down to 10mg per day.
I wish your Brother all the best.

Edit:
Pregablin is quite often used for nerve pain such as I have ( sciatica ) also used for shingles and Epilepsy if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my wife was given diazapam by her GP. It reacted with her other meds causing drug induced dementia.
Got her off it quick and her cognitive abilities were restored to close to pre-diazapam levels but had to battle the doctors who wanted to deny responsibility or any causal link and an element of damage seems to be irreversable. :(

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Yeah it can do. Fluoxetine or citalopram are the most common AD's has he tried both of these?

I've been on Citalopram, and so have lots of people I know. Worked for me. May be worth a try.

I'm not trying to give advice, as a) I don't know the OP's brother, and b) I'm not qualified to advise. But I'm just saying, and opening up a possibility :smile:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I hope his doctor can spell it. Could be nasty otherwise.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
40mg a day is a big dose and slowly weaning off it at the rate he's doing will minimise the withdrawal misery - but I'd expect it still to be not much fun.

He'll be alternately grumpy/angry/crying and probably horrible to be around for a while, although this is when he'll need the support of loved ones most.

Good luck to him, and you. Hopefully he'll find something he can feel passionate about to help him through, be it books, walking, charity volunteering or anything else to give him a boost.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I have also been on Citalopram for many years , they work well for me .

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have been trying to get off Venlafaxine this year by reducing by 25% every month. I can't get past the third month without the old symptoms coming back and I am back to the full 150mg dose. It seems a tough thing to do by accounts on related online forum but hope it works out for your brother.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I usually keep a packet of 10mg ones for after heavy weekends or emergencies, generally 5mg knocks me out for a lovely long sleep. You do build up a tolerance quite quickly, I couldn't imagine doing 40mg a day. When we first got hold of them in the early 2000s I did them for a few days in a row after a long weekend of no sleep but never again, even after only four days of 10mg a day stopping was proper depressing for a couple of days after, then I just snapped out of it.

I definitely feel for anyone legitimately trying to come off that stuff long term.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If the pregbalin is for depression, I'd strongly advise talking to the GP about it. Doesn't appear to have much to any affect according to the SPC which I ended up reading rather boredly in work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here