Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet or the Media

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
People often say Poyet is linking himself to Premier League jobs.
But from what I've read from articles and interviews it seems to be the media who do so... ???

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I guess he does not have to answer questions put to him in such an enthusiastic way. If he stopped giving journalists easy copy, they would soon lose interest in asking him about other jobs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I guess he does not have to answer questions put to him in such an enthusiastic way. If he stopped giving journalists easy copy, they would soon lose interest in asking him about other jobs.

Like that is EVER going to happen!

Anyway, listening to some people on this board Poyet was constantly touting for work, when in reality, he was asked, by jounos, about some of his ex teams and the premier league and he gave honest answers and talked fondly about clubs he once enjoyed being at. Thems the facts.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Like that is EVER going to happen!

Anyway, listening to some people on this board Poyet was constantly touting for work, when in reality, he was asked, by jounos, about some of his ex teams and the premier league and he gave honest answers and talked fondly about clubs he once enjoyed being at. Thems the facts.

Journalists are fairly busy people. They would not hike down to The Amex to sit through a press conference about the Albion's next match just so they could ask Gus a couple of questions about the Chelsea job etc (as they have done this season) if Gus just said he was not prepared to talk about other jobs.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Interesting reading some of the old newspaper articles and interviews. I liked this quote from a Mirror article in March after the Reading saga:

"Poyet has Brighton poised just outside the Championship's play-off places but was worried he'd taken them as far as he could.

And insiders revealed he has been chasing players this season that the club could not afford."

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It does annoy me when people claim he was "touting" himself for the jobs. They wanted answers, he gave them. I much prefer an honest manager to one who claims loyalty to a club then is off in a flash when a bigger team comes calling. If you were a manager of a team lower than us and were asked whether you would consider the Brighton job you're not going to say "I have no interest in the job", you would say that if the opportunity to manage the club you support comes around, then you would take it. This is all Gus has really did with the Chelsea job.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
It does annoy me when people claim he was "touting" himself for the jobs. They wanted answers, he gave them. I much prefer an honest manager to one who claims loyalty to a club then is off in a flash when a bigger team comes calling. If you were a manager of a team lower than us and were asked whether you would consider the Brighton job you're not going to say "I have no interest in the job", you would say that if the opportunity to manage the club you support comes around, then you would take it. This is all Gus has really did with the Chelsea job.

Absoulutely delusional!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absoulutely delusional!

Exactly. The response should always be 'I am not going to talk about other jobs, my focus is on Brighton' or words to that effect. And then don't make any other comments. Other managers can do it so why can't poyet. Now maybe he thought he was playing the long game by putting pressure on TB but he forgot who is the poker player!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If all he said was 'I am not going to talk about other jobs, my focus is on Brighton' or words to that effect then people would complain that he doesn't deny the rumours. Or one time he varies it because he's caught off guard and too much is read into it because it's not what he usually says.

If he does deny rumours, then things change he is a liar and ridiculed (see dougie freedman).

It's a can't win position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here