Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you think players should earn?

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think we're all in agreement that the amount footballers earn is obscene, and is partly responsible for decline in the relationships with the fans, as very few of us have anything in common with these people anymore.

So what do you think would be the right amount for footballers to earn? Obviously it would change depending on the level of player, so let's go with the following examples:

Leo Messi

Andy Carroll

Gordon Greer

Jake Robinson

It should be a well paid career as its only a short career, but I don't really see why a Championship footballer should be able to retire at 35 and never need to work again. They aren't at the very top of their profession, after all.

I would go with

LM - £500K pa
AC - £200K pa
GG - £120K pa
JR - £60K pa

Fair? Too high / low? What does everyone think?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It is difficult to say. There is a lot of money in football, if it were not going to the footballers, where would it go? It would be nice to see more clubs invest in their community activities, but this is an area Brighton have always been strong with. If the money didn't go on wages I am sure that (for many clubs) it will just go to line the pockets of already wealthy owners.

Looking at League 2 footballers, their wages are actually pretty small considering most of them will be retired by the age of 35.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lm 120k pa
ac 100k pa
gg 60k pa
jr 40k pa
:moo:

You think that arguably the best footballer to have ever lived should only earn £120K a year in a career that only lasts about 15 years?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have no issue with the genuine superstars earning high amounts. My issue is with the very high number of very very average professionals which earn life changing amounts over just a couple of years. And not only this but also the life changing amounts totally unproven players earn at a very young age. I remember Joey Barton was on around 8k a week as a youth player.

Oh, and I do not agree with the short career argument either. It pre-supposes that footballers are totally unemployable once they hang up their boots. Have they not heard of career changes which a lot of the general public have to undertake?

Lionel Messi: whatever he wants
Andy Carroll is a very technically poor footballer: I'd send him back to footballing school on a YTS.
Gordon Greer: I'd say he should receive an above average wage as he has arguably performed at an above average level. National average is 26k so give him 35k.
Jake Robinson: does he still play football?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is difficult to say. There is a lot of money in football, if it were not going to the footballers, where would it go?

On not running up debts? Not going into administration?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at League 2 footballers, their wages are actually pretty small considering most of them will be retired by the age of 35.

Are they not able to get any job after 35 then?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
it should be a free market and they should earn whatever anyone is willing to pay. whilst the sums at the current time seem obscene, they will start to fall as football clubs realise it is unsustainable in the long term.

look at what golfers earn or formula 1 drivers - is football any more obscene? i think not.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
it's a moot point really, once you don't have a salary cap it's pure market forces all the way, and if you don't have a salary cap you'll never get sufficient consensus to implement one...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
LM whatever he wants
Carroll nothing as a useless pile of sh1te
Greer £8K
Robinson he can pay me

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Are they not able to get any job after 35 then?

That isn't what I am saying. Most professional footballers will have been doing football and little else since before they finished School. They then retire in their mid 30's with few skills that will lead to meaningful employment.

Of course they can get a job, but for many ex-pros it is pretty difficult to make the transition and to find decent employment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And that's if you remain free from injury

Hmmmm. Good point. Poor footballers. Totally and utterly unemployable and on the scrap heap of life at the age of 35 at best. I'm now starting to understand why they behave the way they do and have certain attitudes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That isn't what I am saying. Most professional footballers will have been doing football and little else since before they finished School. They then retire in their mid 30's with few skills that will lead to meaningful employment.

Of course they can get a job, but for many ex-pros it is pretty difficult to make the transition and to find decent employment.

As a footballer they have plenty of time on their hands, and money, to learn and prepare for a future outside of the game. The opportunities, which are mainly for fit and healthy men, are mainly better than most. If they are on the scrap heap at 35 then they really really are unlucky. I do feel sorry for anyone who is unemployed (well, most) but footballers by and large have it much easier than their peers. And the PFA regularly promote future careers during their playing life-span, and they also provide a broad network of re-training once their careers are over as well so there is little excuse. I'm sure it is tough, but it is more tough for others.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The same as me. £86:70 a week.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why should footballers salaries be capped and not any other industry? If a club is breaking even, or even making a profit, then it's hard to argue that the players are being overpaid. FFP will bring wages down I'm sure, but to a fair market value, not to an arbitrary amount that we decide is fair in relation to the average joe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here