Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC article on Americanisms used when describing a footie match.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My favourite was when Liverpool played Chelsea recently and Chelsea were awarded a 12 yard death strike for a Suarez hand infraction!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Hunker down" is one I have heard on some football stream with American commentators when talking about a team that are having to defend in depth :rolleyes:

Thinking about it, it was probably the Albion having taken a 1-0 lead :lolol:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better get used to this lingo and teach Junior as he is off to play soccer shortly

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My favourite was when Liverpool played Chelsea recently and Chelsea were awarded a 12 yard death strike for a Suarez hand infraction!

That's a parody account on twitter, no? :lolol:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
My favourite piece of American commentary is from a preseason game a few years ago that involved Liverpool, and John Arne Riise slammed one right into the upper 90 from distance

"RELEASE THE KRAKEN!"

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
In the US there is this unrelenting quest for high-value entertainment in sports. Soccer is far from the most exciting game and major US networks employ tactics to bring a little bit of suspense or drama to the occasion, whether it warrants it or not. Fox Sports is by far the worst culprit. Not limited to soccer, they attempt this with most major sports, North American and International.

I'll never forget Fox Sports' glowing puck during their NHL broadcasts. Apparently they thought the puck was hard to follow and created a laser beam whenever it was shot. It was ridiculous.

Fox-Trax-Glow-Puck.jpg

US coverage of baseball and the NFL is great. Anything else leaves a little to be desired!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I recall a Canadian friend who was at a World Cup group match in Korea who said that a player had " Done a Throw On " right in front of their seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here