Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qualities that our next manager MUST have......

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
So you are a member of the Board of Directors at Brighton & Hove Albion FC and are drawing up the list of criteria for selection of the next manager. Naturally, you would expect your appointment to tick several important boxes. But hypothetically, (and dress-sense apart), what would be YOUR single, personal top priority / criterion right now?

For me, in the light of everything that has happened in the last few weeks, it is even more important than usual that the new man captures the imagination of the supporters and strengthens the impression of the club's ambition and upward momentum. A low profile appointment, particularly if early results fail to impress, would look like a step back and could quickly lead to lower home attendances.

Just my opinion......what do the good folks of NSC think matters most?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Kenny Jackett would be a fantastic appointment. Classy, spirited and determined. Not sure why some on here are so against him :shrug:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
No drinking cups of tea while conducting the weekly press conference if it is being filmed, it's so unprofessional.

Also speaking fluent English and being a tactical genius would be preferable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Th most important quality for our next manager is that he needs to be able to tap into the hurt and disappointment of losing out to Palace and use this as a positive force in 2013/14, in much the same way that Sir Alex used the pain caused to United by City's last-gasp title to inspire his team to walk the Prem in 2012/13.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Kenny Jackett would be a fantastic appointment. Classy, spirited and determined. Not sure why some on here are so against him :shrug:

Spot on! I've been saying this for days now and all people do is roll their eyes. He would come in get his head down 'steady the ship' and push on. All with a minimum of fuss. Sign him up

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Probably because he isn't foreign, and because he was managing Millwall some will see it as an underwhelming appointment. That's my guess anyway.

His first managerial appointment was 17 yeas ago, since when he has not progressed beyond managing Watford (briefly), Swansea in League 1, and Millwall. Rightly or wrongly, nobody at a higher level has considered him the man to back and he is probably most closely associated with upper-end League 1 / lower end Championship. Perhaps Tony will see something that everyone else has missed........but I doubt it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well glad to know, as long as we get a fluent English speaking manager everyone will be happy.

We really are a shitty small club still aren't we.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The willingness to work at Championship level for (potentially) a few seasons, while also having the potential to be a Premier League manager. This would suggest a young, up-and-coming manager.

(I don't dislike Kenny Jackett at all - and I think he'll be a decent appointment for Wolves - but he wouldn't be my choice based on the above)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Spot on! I've been saying this for days now and all people do is roll their eyes. He would come in get his head down 'steady the ship' and push on. All with a minimum of fuss. Sign him up

Something to do with the club being ambitious I'd imagine

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Th most important quality for our next manager is that he needs to be able to tap into the hurt and disappointment of losing out to Palace and use this as a positive force in 2013/14, in much the same way that Sir Alex used the pain caused to United by City's last-gasp title to inspire his team to walk the Prem in 2012/13.

Yes, this is an excellent point. Do any candidates with this sort of quality spring to mind?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Do you genuinely think this? If so, why?

Not being combative/aggressive blah blah, just curious why you would rate him highly?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
The willingness to work at Championship level for (potentially) a few seasons, while also having the potential to be a Premier League manager. This would suggest a young, up-and-coming manager.

(I don't dislike Kenny Jackett at all - and I think he'll be a decent appointment for Wolves - but he wouldn't be my choice based on the above)

Would certainly like to think our next manager will be in it for the long haul, having said that, I would be a little surprised if the board appointed a complete rookie this time, even though it worked with Gus. Someone like Solskjaer would meet my criteria of getting the fans excited, but this would surely be a gamble too far. Ditto Sherwood (but without the excitement)!

Karl Robinson? Chris Powell? Uwe Rossler? None of them set the pulse racing.......

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Do you genuinely think this? If so, why?

Not being combative/aggressive blah blah, just curious why you would rate him highly?

'Our Glenn'----my new name for him, as he spends more time with us than palace, is just taking the pee---------do not indulge him anymore FFS:ffsparr:

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
this is for me what i think if you disagree i understand .
keep the style we play
Someone who would make us shoot more.
move the ball quicker going forward.
get the best out of ulloa cms hoskins .
sign a big strong midfielder and centre half as i will we get pushed of the ball too much last season
a creative midfield who can unlock a defense when teams just too defend like Birmingham and others did last season
someone who will make us come back when going a goal down
give caskey a chance
left back

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here