Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Hove Golf Club

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
An info request for NSC's golfers...

A golfing friend of mine is moving to Brighton and is thinking about joining West Hove. He was asking me what the club is like from a member's perspective. I've played a couple of society rounds there, but have no idea whether the members are snooty, friendly or what...

Does anyone have any insight they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why would you worry if the members are 'snooty' just ignore any snooty pretentious behaviour. I have experienced this at both Brighton & Hove and The Dyke.

They threatened to report a friend I played with, for having the wrong colour shorts. Golf Club snobbery really is a thing of the past, I usually put my fingers to my mouth and say shhh if anyone starts, then give them a wink.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
West Hove was always one of the least snooty clubs. But there was a murder in the bar at the old West Hove in the 80's, but that may have been because someone passed the port in the wrong direction.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why would you worry if the members are 'snooty' just ignore any snooty pretentious behaviour. I have experienced this at both Brighton & Hove and The Dyke.

They threatened to report a friend I played for having the wrong colour shorts. Golf Club snobbery really is a thing of the past, I usually put my fingers to my mouth and say shhh I anyone starts, then give them a wink.

As someone who is moving down to the area, he is keen to get involved with the club socially - play club competitions and with other members who he doesn't yet know (I don't have time to play as regularly as he does).
This would be easier if the club members are of a more friendly disposition, rather than a bunch of snobs or a collection of cliques...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As someone who is moving down to the area, he is keen to get involved with the club socially - play club competitions and with other members who he doesn't yet know (I don't have time to play as regularly as he does).
This would be easier if the club members are of a more friendly disposition, rather than a bunch of snobs or a collection of cliques...

I think you will find that at all golf clubs in part. Pyecombe is probably the friendliest club in and around Brighton from my experience.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think you will find that at all golf clubs in part. Pyecombe is probably the friendliest club in and around Brighton from my experience.

I've always found that up there too and have played it much more than West Hove myself.

WH is closest to where he's moving to, so there's an element of convenience to it too. Just interested to see if anyone on here had any particularly strong opinions (good or bad) on the West Hove membership before he signs up (or not!).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was a member at WH for about 6-8 years, I then moved to The Dyke 2 and a half years ago and am still there.

WH is friendlier and has more comps than The Dyke. The Dyke has a much better and tougher course. Slow play is notorious at The Dyke and they only play 3-ball in comps and 4-ball in roll-ups. Staff are great at both courses.

Playing with other people you didn't know was never an issue at WH, although to be fair, I haven't done a lot of this at The Dyke, so will not pass judgement on this. Roll ups at The Dyke is really good, at WH you had to book your slot and often people would not turn up. I did have a member paired with me in a pairs comp once, no idea who he was and he didn't turn up :angry:

My kids are still members at WH as they have friends that play there. I went to pick them up last summer and had a drink in the bar, quite a few members came up to me and asked if I had moved back, this would never happen at The Dyke.

If I could move The Dyke course to WH, I would move like a shot.

If it is comps and social side of things he wants and is not overly worried about playing a tougher course, then WH it is.

Hope this helps.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I was a member at WH for about 6-8 years, I then moved to The Dyke 2 and a half years ago and am still there.

WH is friendlier and has more comps than The Dyke. The Dyke has a much better and tougher course. Slow play is notorious at The Dyke and they only play 3-ball in comps and 4-ball in roll-ups. Staff are great at both courses.

Playing with other people you didn't know was never an issue at WH, although to be fair, I haven't done a lot of this at The Dyke, so will not pass judgement on this. Roll ups at The Dyke is really good, at WH you had to book your slot and often people would not turn up. I did have a member paired with me in a pairs comp once, no idea who he was and he didn't turn up :angry:

My kids are still members at WH as they have friends that play there. I went to pick them up last summer and had a drink in the bar, quite a few members came up to me and asked if I had moved back, this would never happen at The Dyke.

If I could move The Dyke course to WH, I would move like a shot.

If it is comps and social side of things he wants and is not overly worried about playing a tougher course, then WH it is.

Hope this helps.

Very useful, thanks - I'll pass it on. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here