Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roberto Martinez resigns

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Is he as good as the press maintain? Play good football, talks well to the media, but not sure myself.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Is he as good as the press maintain? Play good football, talks well to the media, but not sure myself.

He also won the FA cup and kept Wigan in the league arguably longer than expected, that's quite a lot going for him.

For a bonus point, he told Liverpool to do one.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Martinez would be a gamble for Everton, as is Moyes at Utd and Pelligrini will be at City. If Martinez does go to Everton and as expected Hughes goes to Stoke, there isn't much left in the PL for Mr. Poyet, I can't see many lower league teams willing to pay £2.5m compensation.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Marxo;5737363 there isn't much left in the PL for Mr. Poyet said:
It must be very frustrating for him watching these jobs disappear whilst the investigation is ongoing :smile:

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Martinez would be a gamble for Everton, as is Moyes at Utd and Pelligrini will be at City. If Martinez does go to Everton and as expected Hughes goes to Stoke, there isn't much left in the PL for Mr. Poyet, I can't see many lower league teams willing to pay £2.5m compensation.

This.... not sure that Martinez leaving Wigan will make any difference to the Poyet saga. If i wake up tomorrow and find out that Gus has joined Palace after Holloway poogate scandal then thats it...............

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
It must be very frustrating for him watching these jobs disappear whilst the investigation is ongoing :smile:

Exactly TB's thoughts, I'm sure. Poyet didn't stick with Albion - he thought he was stuck with us until something 'better' (Reading FFS) came along.

We'll be fine - breath deeply and carry on.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
You do wonder if Gus is sitting at home & thinking to himself: " What the **** have I done"? "Me and my big mouth". The options for his dream Premier League Job are getting lesser by the day. He was favourite for the Everton job at one time. With Martinez resigning at Wigan, you would suspect he will now be a shoe in for the Everton job - Although there could still be a left field appointment there.

The biggest left field appointment would of course be, Piglets Pantry making the Worlds biggest humble pie & Gus having to consume the whole lot. I think its most unlikely, but I would never completely rule it out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Or to put it another way, Bloom and Barber must be thinking we need to sort this situation out quickly because once the wheels start turning we may find the better managers have found roles and we have missed the boat.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Exactly TB's thoughts, I'm sure. Poyet didn't stick with Albion - he thought he was stuck with us until something 'better' (Reading FFS) came along.

We'll be fine - breath deeply and carry on.

I bet bloom is really worried that by taking his time all these great opportunities are passing poyet by!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

Why do people still think we will get compensation - we are going to have to pay Gus off. We will not get anything as compensation. So ultimately the decision not to go to reading will cost us 5 million.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You do wonder if Gus is sitting at home & thinking to himself: " What the **** have I done"? "Me and my big mouth".

What has he done? This isn't over his 'big mouth'. What have Tanno and Charlie done? No-one knows, and don't think anyone should be sitting in judgment until the full facts become clear.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
What has he done? This isn't over his 'big mouth'. What have Tanno and Charlie done? No-one knows, and don't think anyone should be sitting in judgment until the full facts become clear.

Kept talking about other clubs he wanted to manage
Appeared from where I sit next to dug outs to show all but no interest in the last game
Talks about hitting the ceiling when he has a new ground new training facilities and a decent amount of funds

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Why do people still think we will get compensation - we are going to have to pay Gus off. We will not get anything as compensation. So ultimately the decision not to go to reading will cost us 5 million.

If his contract were to be terminated because of something like gross misconduct, surely he would not get compensation.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If his contract were to be terminated because of something like gross misconduct, surely he would not get compensation.

Only if the contract breach can be proven... what is more likely is that TB and GP are negotiating how to terminate the contract without actually invoking the various clauses which require long drawn out tribunal/court cases. So it will probably depend on how "hardball" each is playing. [I'm guessing that] both want out but neither wants to actual force the issue and trigger the penalty clauses.

Having been in these sorts of contract positions (not football ones but ones with similar penalty clauses), the difficulty is comes in tip toe-ing around the simple fact that you both want out, but the first person to say it loses!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
He also won the FA cup and kept Wigan in the league arguably longer than expected, that's quite a lot going for him.

For a bonus point, he told Liverpool to do one.

He was never approached by Liverpool, they always wanted Brendan Rogers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only real difference between the Reading and Wigan jobs is that the Reading job gave Gus the slimmest of chances of staying in the Prem and with it a hefty personal bonus. Otherwise, you're talking about two unfashionable clubs with reasonable squads and hefty parachute payments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here