Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napa valley, California

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Am going to San Francisco in September for my honeymoon. We're doing a mini road trip from San Fran up to napa valley and Yosemite park.

Just wondering of anyone else has done similar and if there are any must do's?

Cheers

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lived in the bay area for 5 years. Here are my tips, fwiw.

Sonoma is prettier than Napa - one valley west of Napa, same route North of SF.
Sausalito, just N of GG bridge on way to wine country.
Reyes Headland, in Marin County - very pretty, great for whale watching (and blue cheese!)
Half moon bay
Monterey (esp the acquarium)
Carmel
then across to Yosemite. Don't forget Tuome (?sp) Meadows as well as the main central valley (which can be very busy, though breathtakingly beautiful).

If you need restaurant/bar recommendations, PM.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Thanks alot! Will have a look at all those suggestions when I get back from work later.

The lady loves blue cheese, so will definitely look into that!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sausalito is pretty boring but you get the ferry back to San Francisco.

Try cycling over the Golden Gate bridge, it is amazing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree that Sonama is better than Napa.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Some other suggestions in addition to those above: The Old Faithful Geyser at Calistoga, Sonora the centre of the California Gold Rush and just outside Sonora: Railtown where you can ride on the train that is often featured in many Western films and tv series. All the above have Google entries.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Feel free to keep this thread going, just found out I'm heading for San Francisco in October (gf surprised me).
Already tried for 49ers ticket Vs Houston but single day tickets are already sold out.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
The America's Cup takes place in San Francisco Bay in September - American team against whoever the challenger turns out to be. Andrew Simpson, our Olympic medallist was killed recently during trials for the Swedish team - I don't hope for any more deaths - but it will be a spectacular sight to see the giant catamarans if you get the chance. Starts September 7th I think, and plenty of concerts and promotional activity down on the piers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Defo go to Sausalito and eat at Scomas ... fab for a lazy lunch and great views

E&O Asian Kitchen just off Union Square one of my fav's

If you're into steaks you'll never go wrong at Mortons

If you have time head south to Monterray and Carmel and even beyond down Big Sur but wrong direction if you're set on Yosemite

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just booked my tickets today for LA on 11 September. Driving up to Sequoia National Park, between LA and San Francisco, then trekking up Mt Whitney, highest point in States barring Alaska. Then have 5 weeks trekking and driving round Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
You will have a great honeymoon I am sure. In 1997 I cycled with wife from Vancouver to LA on the Pacific Coast Highway. Bloody brilliant and we didn't split up! 2000 miles of incredible scenery. Cycling the Golden Gate Bridge was when we knew we had cracked it with only another 500 miles to go.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would strongly recommend Alcatraz as well, very informative especially the headphone commentary.

NB book as soon as you get there as it is normally around two days advanced booked.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Am going to San Francisco in September for my honeymoon. We're doing a mini road trip from San Fran up to napa valley and Yosemite park.

Just wondering of anyone else has done similar and if there are any must do's?

Cheers

Recommend leaving the car at the hotel and taking one of the wine tours. You will get to drink and eat at numerous vineyards in the valley and it's just great fun finishing the day merrily sozzled on good wine being taken from vineyard to vineyard in a spacious air conditioned mini bus.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Spent quite a lot of my time in the early eighties in California and in particular the Bay area. As others have mentioned Calistoga and the wine valleys...try to visit a winery...I went to Christian Brothers which provided some great tastings.

The Petrified Forest is worth a look and if you go a bit further north the Redwoods....fantastic natural beauty. Driving to Lake Tahoe via Sacramento was memorable.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
If, aside from wine, you like fine dining there are some superb restaurants in Sonoma and Napa valleys. The French Laundry sets the standard, pricy, but worth it. Book ahead!

It's a superb part of the world, full of contrasts and beauty. I drive from San Francisco to Sacramento one a month, the transition from the cool of the coast to the heat of the central valley is quite remarkable and never ceases to surprise me. If you make it to Yosemite try and hike the half dome, great experience. You'll have a great trip.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Was in SF last month. Brilliant place. We hired bikes from Pacific Cycles in SOMA and cycled round the bay-front and over GG. Also took in a couple of Ginats games.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I can personally recommend staying at The Pink Mansion in Napa Valley and for Yosemite stay at White Wolf Lodge.

Yosemite is such a beautiful place. Enjoy. Mrs Van Winkle is from the Bay Area so if have anymore questions or need more recommendations just PM me. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here