Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
On 3 May 1997 I stood, as many of you did, on the terraces at Edgar Street 1-0 down at half time. The last few weeks have hurt, but the stress is absolutely nothing in comparison.

Whoever the manager is, whichever players remain, there will be a Brighton to watch next year. There will be a stadium in the city in which to watch them.

In the future, maybe sooner than we expect, it will be our turn to laugh and Palace’s to hurt. I don’t say ‘to have the last laugh’ because, thanks to Tony Bloom’s generosity, this club is set up to outlive us all and the rivalry is likely to do the same.

Let’s be open about this. All clubs have different levels of supporter. Watford and Palace, having struggled with crowds all season, had no trouble selling their allocations for the play off final. This is because success breeds interest. Palace season ticket holders who have baited Brighton about second teamers filling the Amex will no doubt have arranged tickets for their friends and family, who ‘haven’t been for years, but wouldn’t miss it,’ or ‘like to see the local team do well’. There is an outside chance that some of these part time fans took kids who may develop a lifelong affinity because of this one game. Good luck to them. They have picked their local club and they can be proud of its success. They could be even prouder if their owners were to follow Marcus Leibherr’s moral lead and share some of the £100 million bonanza with the previous creditors who made it all possible. (Couldn’t resist it)

From an Albion point of view, it’s important to note that the buzz that Palace fans have this week has been in Sussex for the last two seasons. There is a much greater chance that Brighton’s new or returning fans have brought kids to the Amex in the last two years. In previous years, these kids would have become armchair fans of Premier League teams. Now they will be Brighton fans. Some will fall away as the club’s fortunes ebb and flow, but a good proportion will become the core of the next generation.

We all know that the troubles of the nineties have cost the Albion a generation of fans and a big draw was needed to bring people back. In building the Amex, Bloom did his part better than Kevin Costner in ‘Field of Dreams’. However, what can’t be bought with Bloom’s millions are the experiences which ingrain the club into your soul. Those of us who lived through the ‘Build A Bonfire’ years have all had these experiences and they were definitely not all about success. Hurt played a very large part.

Some kids, mine included, have now had their first practical lesson in the stoicism it takes to support the Albion. Enjoyment of future successes will be enriched by this pain. I am grateful that the new generation’s first taste of hurt has not been over a threat to the club’s existence, but was about the football. This is the way it should be. Lets swallow it and move on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Superb post.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Supporting The Albion is always a roller-coaster ride otherwise it would just be boring.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
A fundamental lesson in supporting your club is to experience the bad times and the hurt. A lot of our new support have only seen good times for the last 4 years. It is better to experience the 'hurt' at the top end of the division like now and 1991 and 1978, than suffer the hurt of relegation and all the other baggage that comes with dropping down a division.
My current feeling is nothing compared to the latter part of the 90's and several other previous woeful seasons, and is just compounded by the jealousy of Palace getting lucky and embarassment that we just did not turn up for the final two games.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Excellent OP. This is a setback and a very painful one at that, because we have come to think of ourselves as at least on a level with Palace and possibly edging ahead, with 2 seasons of higher finishes, bigger crowds and a much better stadium. I'm convinced that we will get to the Prem, but it might not happen immediately and we shouldn't wish our footballing lives away. For now, let's just enjoy the ride - we've come a long, long way, and there's more to come yet.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
On 3 May 1997 I stood, as many of you did, on the terraces at Edgar Street 1-0 down at half time. The last few weeks have hurt, but the stress is absolutely nothing in comparison.

Whoever the manager is, whichever players remain, there will be a Brighton to watch next year. There will be a stadium in the city in which to watch them.

In the future, maybe sooner than we expect, it will be our turn to laugh and Palace’s to hurt. I don’t say ‘to have the last laugh’ because, thanks to Tony Bloom’s generosity, this club is set up to outlive us all and the rivalry is likely to do the same.

Let’s be open about this. All clubs have different levels of supporter. Watford and Palace, having struggled with crowds all season, had no trouble selling their allocations for the play off final. This is because success breeds interest. Palace season ticket holders who have baited Brighton about second teamers filling the Amex will no doubt have arranged tickets for their friends and family, who ‘haven’t been for years, but wouldn’t miss it,’ or ‘like to see the local team do well’. There is an outside chance that some of these part time fans took kids who may develop a lifelong affinity because of this one game. Good luck to them. They have picked their local club and they can be proud of its success. They could be even prouder if their owners were to follow Marcus Leibherr’s moral lead and share some of the £100 million bonanza with the previous creditors who made it all possible. (Couldn’t resist it)

From an Albion point of view, it’s important to note that the buzz that Palace fans have this week has been in Sussex for the last two seasons. There is a much greater chance that Brighton’s new or returning fans have brought kids to the Amex in the last two years. In previous years, these kids would have become armchair fans of Premier League teams. Now they will be Brighton fans. Some will fall away as the club’s fortunes ebb and flow, but a good proportion will become the core of the next generation.

We all know that the troubles of the nineties have cost the Albion a generation of fans and a big draw was needed to bring people back. In building the Amex, Bloom did his part better than Kevin Costner in ‘Field of Dreams’. However, what can’t be bought with Bloom’s millions are the experiences which ingrain the club into your soul. Those of us who lived through the ‘Build A Bonfire’ years have all had these experiences and they were definitely not all about success. Hurt played a very large part.

Some kids, mine included, have now had their first practical lesson in the stoicism it takes to support the Albion. Enjoyment of future successes will be enriched by this pain. I am grateful that the new generation’s first taste of hurt has not been over a threat to the club’s existence, but was about the football. This is the way it should be. Lets swallow it and move on.

If ever there was a post that was fully deserving of quoting (and digesting, by some here), then this is it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Well said, sir - and so say all of us. Well, those of us with a sense of perspective, at least :thumbsup:

May 15, 2013
Sums up being a supporter of any club really, as a Palace fan yesterday was great but it's dealing with the lows that separates most supporters from the soulless Man Utd and Chelsea supporters.
On the train home yesterday I bumped in to a Palace friend I have seen for about 10 years his first words were bo**??ks was looking forward to playing Yeovil. A lot of Palace supporters aren't even to comfortable with the highs.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Am I on Northstand chat?? This post makes far too much sense to be here, Top post O/p

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Absolutely THIS :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously it is impossible to disagree with the vast majority of that, lots of perspective (I was at Hereford too) and all very sensible.

But this is definitely the lowest I have felt since that season, and that was 16 years ago. It's still pretty bad.

Even taking into account everything you say about there will be a great chairman, club, stadium, manager and Championship team - life and sport is about moments and taking opportunities.

And we have all seen one of the biggest ones we will ever have blow up in our faces, with absolutely no guarantee it will present itself again in the foreseeable future.

To think that the efforts of an entire season were effectively sabotaged by one man's ego is very, very difficult to take however much he played a part in getting us there in the first place.

I don't think we will challenge next season, though I would love to be proved wrong. I believe Poyet, even if indirectly, has unsettled our better players. And Palace are now financially secure for years if they don't do anything stupid.

I am sure I'll feel differently when next season starts, because hope springs eternal, and it is a very good and enjoyable league to be part of.

But if we are to have any chance of keeping the stars in our team the Poyet mess must be sorted out very quickly, an impressive new name appointed, and he needs to swiftly reassure a few players.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I had to come back through Central London last night from Heathrow to Kent where I live.

That was hard, very hard - there were hoardes of singing Palace everywhere from
Baker Street to Charing Cross.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Wanted to bump this back up. Superb post.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Loved reading that, makes me feel better about recent weeks...thanks!

So true. We always learn more about ourselves from adversity rather than triumph. Only those who experienced at first hand the decline and near death of the club during the 80's and 90's can have this level of perspective, but it needs pointing out to those who didn't all the same. Not to patronise them or be smug, but to remind them of just how lucky they are to have a Brighton & Hove Albion to moan about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here