Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liechtenstein

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Off to Zurich and then Liechtenstein for a week next month. Can the NSC great and good give me some decent suggestions of places to go in and around the principality??

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
T00897_10.jpg

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
The only thing of any real interest according to a friend who passed through on a day trip is the Art Gallery in Vaduz.
The Prince has the largest private collection of various famous artists and alot of those are in the Gallery, while the rest are in the castle which is off limits to the plebs.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
The town centre of Vaduz has only about three or four (perfectly acceptable, table on the street type) restaurants - it is very small and very quiet as others have said. Zurich is very different - in Bahnhofstrasse and around you can pay silly prices - but head to Zurich West for where the street cred really is, better prices much more contemporary. Judging by the storm we have at the moment, bring a non-collapsible brolly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Zurich monster expensive as said above. Great druggie park (can't remember name), like something out of Midnight Express. Lichtenstein - spent a week there on a school exchange. Did a bit of skiing and langlaufen (cross country ski-walking) but made no great impression - not a lot going on there.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just got back and had a blast.

Liechtenstein was stunning, but I think the weather helped (got up to 35c on Tuesday), not sure what we would have done if it had rained.

Zurich was disgusting, prices were quite outrageous.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Zurich was disgusting, prices were quite outrageous.

More expensive than Vaduz?

I went there several years back when England played them. We stayed in Zurich and got a bus down. Whilst Zurich was mega expensive Vaduz was crazy money (about £8 a small beer if memory recalls). The scenery was quite pretty but there was bugger all there!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Zurich is about 20 eur for English breakfast.

All in proportion. 2007:

My grad salary in lux - 33k gbp
Same company in ldn - 26k gbp
Zurich office - 40k gbp

Switz has higher income tax rates I believe though

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
In Zürich.
Take the train S10 up to Zuri kulm Uetliberg the hotel overlooking the city.
Get a 9 hour pass on the transport system and take a boat down to Rapperswil have a nice meal over looking the harbour get the train back to Zürich.
Summers evening in Neiderdorf the old city is buzzing and at certain times of the day you can go to the top of the church (Grossmünster) and look over the city.
Zürich is not expensive it's just the pound is shit against the franc about 40% out at the moment.

North of the main station it gets into club and red light area.

Liechtenstein is very small so a few places to look around but to be quite honest I have only driven through it on the way to Austria.

Have fun

Is there anyone else on NSC who has had to pay Liechtenstein income tax? I did, after performing at the National Theatre in Vaduz (the flashiest village hall in Europe). We had to go to the bank to get paid, and they only gave us the money if we paid tax on our earnings. Vaduz is very quiet and there wasn't much to do when I was there, apart from going to a superb show at the National Theatre, obviously.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I killed a wasp in Vaduz once. We were having a picnic lunch in a car park below the castle and it was going for our sandwiches. I smacked it in the face with a plastic chopping board. Take that, Lichtensteinian wasp!

That's all I can remember about the country. I think I may have bought a stamp as a souvenir...

As you've already discovered though, Zurich is a dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here