Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tech Help (Ethernet to Router question)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Hi guys,

I have an annex attached to the main house and I'm trying to get a decent wireless internet signal in the Annex.
The Sky box, router, cables etc are all in the main house and there is 1 single Ethernet cable wired into the Annex enabling direct internet access through that cable.
We do have wireless in the main building but it's very weak through the walls into the Annex.

So here's the question:

Can I plug the 1 Ethernet cable (from the Annex) into a router or something similar, to broadcast a strong wireless signal in the Annex, without needing the original Router that's in the main building?

Hoping we have some good techies on here!

:cheers:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Yes, lots of options. Depends what best for your budget and technical abilities, a wireless access point will take the signal from the cable and push it over the wireless, or you can get a wireless extender that'll just pick up the signal and boost it.

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton
Using your existing electrical wiring works... We have used Powerline (try searching for TP Link) - where you plug your Ethernet cable from your router into one unit (which is plugged into a power socket) - then plug the other unit into the room/area where you need the coverage. The network signal is transmitted via your household electric wiring to the second unit giving you either/both cabled or wireless access where you need it.

There are other ways... Wireless range extenders/boosters, or you could do the second router thing, but this way gives a full signal exactly where you need it.

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton
There is one caveat to the powerline route - I think you need to be on the same circuit for it to work - you might need to check how your annex is wired!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yes, lots of options. Depends what best for your budget and technical abilities, a wireless access point will take the signal from the cable and push it over the wireless

I guess budget would ideally be no more than 75-100 but to be honest I have no idea what sort of money I'm looking at. All I know is that I want it as simple as possible with ideally no messing about with the router and original cables.

With the Wireless Access Point, how does it work? Do I need anything other than the Ethernet cable in the Annex i.e will I need to wire the original router to the WAP?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If you have an old wireless router then this can probably be set up as a WAP, (wireless access point).

Connecting the existing ethernet cable to this will give you wireless access in your annex.

Failing this you should be able to buy a WAP for less than £40 - (have a search on eBay)

Very little technical know-how is needed to set these up.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Just done something simular. The netcomm n900 nf2 was what I chose. A 2.4 and 5 ghz pair of wirless networks and many other goodies. Works really well

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you have an old wireless router then this can probably be set up as a WAP, (wireless access point).

Connecting the existing ethernet cable to this will give you wireless access in your annex.

Failing this you should be able to buy a WAP for less than £40 - (have a search on eBay)

Very little technical know-how is needed to set these up.

Just done something simular. The netcomm n900 nf2 was what I chose. A 2.4 and 5 ghz pair of wirless networks and many other goodies. Works really well

Thanks very much, seems simple enough for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here