Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No excuses from Brighton managers

Feb 14, 2010
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the deification of Poyet is now firmly consigned to the dustbin of history. OK, he got us playing the ball on the ground, but that's hardly a unique talent. After countless years of watching Albion bargain basement wallies playing total hoofball for reasons of budget, a lot of people went overboard on his supposed wondrous managerial talent. Certainly the guy himself totally bought into it. Truth is, he was given a very decent budget, total support of his chairman, and he was obscenely over-indulged. Which in turn only fed his ego to the point where it became unsustainable.

Feb 14, 2010
I think the deification of Poyet is now firmly consigned to the dustbin of history. OK, he got us playing the ball on the ground, but that's hardly a unique talent. After countless years of watching Albion bargain basement wallies playing total hoofball for reasons of budget, a lot of people went overboard on his supposed wondrous managerial talent. Certainly the guy himself totally bought into it. Truth is, he was given a very decent budget, total support of his chairman, and he was obscenely over-indulged. Which in turn only fed his ego to the point where it became unsustainable.

I think this is a bit harsh but I do bloody hope that the next manager of Brighton understands how lucky he is to manage the club with the biggest support in the division.

MattyC

May 12, 2013
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.

Well said! Totally agree!!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea

It certainly seems that way, Old Boy.

The love affair is certainly over regardless of the outcome. Will always appreciate his part in our resounding League One triumph and re-establishment in The Championship, but I have to say The King Is Dead (or suspended pending a mutually-consensual departure)....Long Live The King....(El Rey?)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I agree with all except the comment about Tony Bloom. That bit is out of order, as there can be no doubting his passion for our Club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Totally agree.

Time to end the Cult of Gus.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
This should be compulsory reading for whoever manages our club.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think palace have exploited the very poor quality in the championship this season. Hull and Cardiff hardly ooze quality, hull in fact look exceptionally ordinary. The relegated teams this year SHOULD have done much better. Wolves have a massive fan base and sold £23m worth of players in the summer. Bolton's squad was largely premier league quality, as was blackburn's. these clubs, and the relegated clubs this season will all do better. We've ****ed up our chance in my opinion. We will be in this league for a few more years, at least until revenue from the stadium really starts putting us into the higher end of the table for budgets. I'm not expecting a top 6 finish next season.

Feb 14, 2010
I agree with all except the comment about Tony Bloom. That bit is out of order, as there can be no doubting his passion for our Club.

It wasn't a dig at Bloom. Just a hope to see him and the club get angry. I liked Poyet as manager but a few things I couldnt suffer. Like the pathetic performance of cuddling the scousers up at Anfield and the failure of Poyet to recognise he was manager of a club that gets 30000 without sneezing. I want the next manager to be told in no uncertain terms just how lucky he is and just what a club with this support expects and requires. Time to get angry.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
Get real.. Having 30,000 through the turnstiles means nothing... Look at other clubs in the Championship: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Leicester, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesboro - these are big clubs with large fan bases - Large crowds or lots of money are no guarantee of success. How long our fan base will stay at its present level is anyone's guess, but it's not going to last forever. Palace struck lucky - the playoffs are a lottery. Poyet began to create a solid squad structure, and that is why we were successful this year. What will happen next season? Who knows? What players will remain? What players will be sold? Who knows? Will the squad click together or fall apart? Who knows? That's football... we'll just have to wait and see. What effect will the new financial rules have, now that we are over the maximum debt level? Who knows?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Get real.. Having 30,000 through the turnstiles means nothing... Look at other clubs in the Championship: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Leicester, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesboro - these are big clubs with large fan bases - Large crowds or lots of money are no guarantee of success. How long our fan base will stay at its present level is anyone's guess, but it's not going to last forever. Palace struck lucky - the playoffs are a lottery. Poyet began to create a solid squad structure, and that is why we were successful this year. What will happen next season? Who knows? What players will remain? What players will be sold? Who knows? Will the squad click together or fall apart? Who knows? That's football... we'll just have to wait and see. What effect will the new financial rules have, now that we are over the maximum debt level? Who knows?

good to see a touch of realism...and understanding of what football is all about ..not quite so black and white as some seem to think it is

Feb 14, 2010

With this attitude you display a lack of knowledge of this club and no doubt you failed to predict Brighton selling out Falmer. If you knew your history Brighton got 30,000 crowds in the Third Division South. Brighton's problems are as a result of a failure to expect the success that the size of the fanbase should require. This has now ended. Brighton expect and require, not ask and request. Little clubs like Palace and Wigan can succeed on small gates. There are no more excuses. As for Leeds, well if this doesnt alter your mindst then nothing will, Leeds are a club that get 8000/to 10000 less than us every week. Now in their history they have won in comparison to us? This has to end, we now require success that matches the size of our support . Just imagine if we actually did have some success.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With this attitude you display a lack of knowledge of this club and no doubt you failed to predict Brighton selling out Falmer. If you knew your history Brighton got 30,000 crowds in the Third Division South. Brighton's problems are as a result of a failure to expect the success that the size of the fanbase should require. This has now ended. Brighton expect and require, not ask and request. Little clubs like Palace and Wigan can succeed on small gates. There are no more excuses. As for Leeds, well if this doesnt alter your mindst then nothing will, Leeds are a club that get 8000/to 10000 less than us every week. Now in their history they have won in comparison to us? This has to end, we now require success that matches the size of our support . Just imagine if we actually did have some success.

third division south? fek how far back we going looooooool.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
It wasn't a dig at Bloom. Just a hope to see him and the club get angry. I liked Poyet as manager but a few things I couldnt suffer. Like the pathetic performance of cuddling the scousers up at Anfield and the failure of Poyet to recognise he was manager of a club that gets 30000 without sneezing. I want the next manager to be told in no uncertain terms just how lucky he is and just what a club with this support expects and requires. Time to get angry.

Excellent post and thread. I wish all our fan base had this mindset. The Poyet love-in was absolutely sickening. As you say, the next manager should be proud to be here, not treat this as a stepping stone.

Feb 14, 2010
third division south? fek how far back we going looooooool.

You obviously dont follow, what I point out is that the Albion are a very well supported side with almost nothing by way of success. Not good enough. Time to look around and make comparisons. Well done palace but they did this on gates of 14000 paying punters. Poyet came close but no cigar, and the next manager needs to understand that he is bloody lucky to manage a club with this support and with that comes a demand for success and we had better find someone who understands that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I honestly believe we had the squad to go up this year and history will paint this season as a missed opportunity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You obviously dont follow, what I point out is that the Albion are a very well supported side with almost nothing by way of success. Not good enough. Time to look around and make comparisons. Well done palace but they did this on gates of 14000 paying punters. Poyet came close but no cigar, and the next manager needs to understand that he is bloody lucky to manage a club with this support and with that comes a demand for success and we had better find someone who understands that.

oh please stop telling me what i do or dont know...i'm not going to get into who has been to more matches and whos got the biggest dick...but to justify your argument by going back to the third division south just made me laugh...the other poster made a very valid comment about other clubs having a large fan base as well..i bet they are saying that they deserve to be promoted...sorry but you make is sound too black and white ..which football isn't ..follow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here