The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
May 27, 2013
RECOMMEND4TWEET6EMAILPRINT
By Ian Edwards
Jordi Cruyff is ready to rival Stoke City in the battle to provide Gus Poyet an escape route out of Brighton, ESPN understands.

GettyImages
Gus Poyet would relish a Premier League chance.
• Stoke wait on Hughes
• Whittaker: Pulis deserves credit

Cruyff hopes the lure of Champions League football will help him persuade Poyet to become the new boss of Maccabi Tel Aviv.

The sports director of the recently crowned Israeli Champions has made Brighton manager Poyet his chief target to replace Oscar Garcia, who has stepped down because of personal reasons.

Poyet is currently suspended by Brighton as chairman Tony Bloom continues an internal enquiry into comments the Uruguayan made in the immediate aftermath of their Championship play-off semi-final defeat to Crystal Palace.

He is keen to speak to Stoke regarding the vacancy created by Tony Pulis' sacking last Tuesday and wants a swift conclusion to the disciplinary dispute to avoid missing a Premier League opportunity.

But Cruyff is ready to make a formal request to Brighton to speak with Poyet regarding the vacancy at Maccabi.

"It is our job to find the right man who can build on what Oscar has brought to this club in the last season," Cruyff said.

"We are working hard to make a successful appointment with the right person who will continue to take the club forward."

Maccabi's title success means they will enter the Champions League at the second qualifying stage, but Cruyff faces a tough job to persuade Poyet to leave English football.

Poyet is one of the main candidates under consideration by Stoke chairman Peter Coates and his ability to develop players and invest in the club's academy will be a key attraction.

New Stoke technical director Mark Cartwright has a long-standing association with the former Chelsea midfielder and thought to be pushing for Poyet to replace Pulis.

Mark Hughes has made his interest in the post known and Stoke hope to start interviews this week, after compiling a shortlist which also includes Roberto Martinez.

Poyet is still waiting for a resolution to the on-going investigation and there is a concern that the longer the Championship club delay could seriously affect his prospects of landing the Premier League post he craves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pre season training is not this week or next so no worries at the moment, provided it is sorted during June, as I am sure it will be. The big question is who will work with Barber.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Note the piece states poyet want it resolved quickly or he could miss his premiership opportunity. Not sure that will be the reason the club hurry to deal with the situation!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This period is planning the season which is the most important part.

We will now be weeks behind everyone else and missed out on all targets whose deals are expiring.

Most players are away on holiday with their families but their agents will be working and I am sure the club are keeping abreast of the situation.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Most players are away o holiday with their families but their agents will be working and I am sure he club are keeping abreast of this.

Agreed we have scouts etc in place, but lets be honest no player will sign for us without knowing who the managers is, style of play etc.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
This period is planning the season which is the most important part.

We will now be weeks behind everyone else and missed out on all targets whose deals are expiring.

I don't think that the club (including scouts and the Director of football) will be wringing their hands or indeed sitting on them and doing nothing.

Identifying and pursuing targets isn't solely down to the manager.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Most players are away on holiday with their families but their agents will be working and I am sure the club are keeping abreast of the situation.

What?

No player will enter negotiations with us when we have no manager or coaches! If resolved this coming week then will all okay but can see this dragging on and us having a far weaker team than the one we ended this season with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here