Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richie Barker

I apologise if this is fixtures, but I just noticed that Stan James now have Richie Barker at 12/1 to be next Albion boss?! I'm not sure what I think about that, but he did a pretty decent job at Crawley and obviously was a former player, but would we accept him as our next boss? What are your views?

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
He was alright as a player, did ok with Crawley but I don't think he'd be the man to take us up. Someone has probably lumped a tenner on him: unlikely it means anything.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Think he would of been great for us in league 1, however not for us now we are knocking on the door of the prem with a hatful foreign superstars

Yeah to be honest, I agree, he may turn out to be a good manager, but now, with the players we have, I think we need a bigger name, who has at least managed at this level, and to be able to attract the better players too. No disrespect to Barker, but a journeyman striker in the lower leagues, is not quite the same attraction for potential signings as Champions League winning RDM for example.

Harsh! did you not go in the Gillingham years? Was great for us

I certainly agree with you on this too, with the limited budget we had at the time, he was a pretty good striker for us up at Gillingham, the rest of the team were very very poor and he got poor service. He proved he was a good striker by scoring lots of goals for Rotherham after he left us.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He worked his socks off, often alone up front. Anyone who was there would remember his one man forward line displays absolutly battering Posh twice at London Road.

Wouldn't want him for manager though, given where we are now.

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Barker is simply not ready for the step up to the championship.
He has had a decent season at Crawley but made quite a few mistakes along the way.
Barker is very sure of himself and many Crawley fans just haven't warmed to him.He doesn't like criticism and comes across sulky,petulant and a bit aloof.He recently banned a young reporter who covers the Crawley games for a local rag because he didn't like what she was writing.He dismisses the supporters opinions of his tactics and just says he is the best qualified coach for his age in Europe.
He gets wound up enough with 3,000 Crawley fans, **** knows how he wold cope with 30,000 Brighton ones on his back.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I always get edgy when I hear the phrase "not big enough for us", as though we automatically require a celebrity manager. Personally, I would rather have a young manager, hungry for success and with something to prove rather than a journeyman that's been round the block several times and gets on TV a lot.

Uwe Rosler would do nicely, although we may well need to look to Spain to get somebody drowning in coaching badges that speaks the language of half our first team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here