Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For anyone watching the Premiership Rugby Final, THAT is how referees...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
..should deal with abusive players!

Dylan Hartley warned once about how he was talking to the ref, and then given a straight red for calling him "a Googling cheat."

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's O.K to think things, but not say them. Perhaps he should have said "I think your a F* cheat !"

Shame, as Leicester will take it now. If only Foden had known where his boot was when the other Tigers came down on him.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Five Live broadcasting live have had to repeatedly apologise for the language which is very audible via the ref's microphone.

I liked it when he said 'any children listening will know now what not to say out loud to a ref'

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
There is a difference between 'something he didn't like' and swearing, IMHO.

The players are passionate and full of adrenaline. A bit of swearing is hardly a big deal in most circumstances, and certainly not in the middle of an important rugby game if you think the ref is being unfair.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
The players are passionate and full of adrenaline. A bit of swearing is hardly a big deal in most circumstances, and certainly not in the middle of an important rugby game if you think the ref is being unfair.

Saying "oh googling hell" is very different to "you're a googling cheat".

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
Saying "oh googling hell" is very different to "you're a googling cheat".

Well sort of. If you say oh googling hell in direct response to a decision then it amounts to a similar implication and both are clearly heat of the moment exclamations. But anyway, I was responding to:
There is a difference between 'something he didn't like' and swearing, IMHO.

I think the swearing is actually irrelevant here, like you say it seems the issue was probably calling him a cheat (not the swearing per se), which seems to fall in the 'something he didn't like' category.

Do you think if he had said "Are you joking?" after a perceived bad decision he should walk?

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
To clarify, I read Dylan as saying 'F*****g Cheat' to Wayne Barnes who reminded him, clearly forgetting that we could all hear his mic, of his exact words shortly after.

Can't stay on the pitch for that, alas.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
To clarify, I read Dylan as saying 'F*****g Cheat' to Wayne Barnes who reminded him, clearly forgetting that we could all hear his mic, of his exact words shortly after.

Can't stay on the pitch for that, alas.

Indeed, all a bit unfair. Surely he could see that the guy thought he was cleared to kick the ball into touch?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Indeed, all a bit unfair. Surely he could see that the guy thought he was cleared to kick the ball into touch?

Like you, I read it that Myler was clear to kick into touch. I'd like to hear it again, but my instinct says that the call wasn't clear.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Like you, I read it that Myler was clear to kick into touch. I'd like to hear it again, but my instinct says that the call wasn't clear.

Obviously it was not clear. Otherwise it would not have lead to the kick to touch. Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, in rugby, the Ref cannot be spoken to like that and there was only going to be one outcome.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Obviously it was not clear. Otherwise it would not have lead to the kick to touch. Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, in rugby, the Ref cannot be spoken to like that and there was only going to be one outcome.

It was not clear from what I heard from my ref mic. I think Myler thought by not kicking it out on the full, i.e. bouncing it into touch, that he would get away with it. There is absolutely no excuse for what Hartley did, though. Given that the RFU entry point for a ban for abusing an official is six weeks, his Lions tour will also be over.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Given that the RFU entry point for a ban for abusing an official is six weeks, his Lions tour will also be over.

That'll be a bonus then, shouldn't be anywhere near the Lions squad anyway! The ban will be fixed so as not to affect the Lions though.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That'll be a bonus then, shouldn't be anywhere near the Lions squad anyway! The ban will be fixed so as not to affect the Lions though.

I'd like to have seen Rory Best in ahead of him anyway! I hope the RFU don't bottle this by letting him DH go away with the Lions and starting the ban from the beginning of next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here