Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Phelan

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Has his name been mentioned anywhere in potential manager discussions?
He's done his apprenticeship, has every contact going, is well respected and would be a steady leader. He's used to dealing with all types of players and also very media savvy having been MUFC's main spokesman for years with the BBC due to Ferguson's boycott.
And still only 50 years old.
Not sure if he could be tempted south though. He might want to bring Eric Steele with him.

Just a thought......

Oct 25, 2003
not saying that this definitely applies to phelan...but most of fergies assistants/former players have been utter disasters as managers

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The man can't even manage his own shaving, let alone a football team.

_46566772_phelan_av512.jpg

_45692111_phelan_av512.jpg

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He doesn't seem to have a dominant personality that managers tend to require. Wouldn't be surprised if ends up managing a team in League One or Two, but don't think he will be managing any higher.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
hes been great at united, and im a massive eric steele fan to, hes top goalkeeping coach and, hes turned de gea into a dominant keeper, plus he has obviously worked with tomaz before, hes a good personality to from what ive seen, would be happy to have them both brighton...

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
im not a fan of steve mcclaren either, i dont like his style of football at all, but you cant say hes has done well, he done brilliant with middlesbrough and won the league cup and took them to europe, transformed twente and won the title in holland plus hes managed england... i wouldnt wanna see him at brighton, i cant stand the bloke, but hes done well since leaving united...

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The guy isn't as slick looking as Laudrup, Martinez, Eddie Howe, Mourinho etc and maybe not be as eloquent. But when you put all that to one side, he has massive experience in both playing at United and being number two to Fergie for years.
He's unfashionable and I wouldn't expect him to be a popular choice for supporters, but I'm sure he would do a very solid job and would have loads to offer.

#TeamPhelan

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
To be fair to Steve McClaren, the bloke is a clown but the limelight at Boro and being England manager got to him a bit. Then he did that ****ing stupid dutch accent but he still did very well for FC Twente, awful at Forest though but still he has had his high moments.

Carlos Quieroz is someone who was a bit premature. God knows why Madrid were interested and yet he is a controversial character and plays unattractive, negative football (hence Portugal's below par performances and his imminent sacking, albeit his stupid press conference he did).

Mike Phelan I like, top professional, gets Eric Steele in and I reckon we can get a good, management set up here once more. One without the ****ing drama.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its too much of a risk, taking someone with no managerial experience.

But then you look at Steve Clarke, the West Brom manager. Last year he was Dalglish's assistant at Liverpool and of course joined West Brom in the Summer and they had a pretty good season.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
PIG has issues with Eric Steele also.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here