Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heynckes or Guardiola?

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I personally feel Heynckes has been served an injustice by Bayern. Some of their football (& Dortmunds) has been like a breath of fresh air in particular this season. I can appreciate the Barca keep ball game but I've been far more impressed by the effective German game. Ok Heynckes is in his late 60s & Guardiola is a young manger with an outstanding CV but if Bayern win tonight he's got his hands full if he's being primed to emulate Heynckes.

Bayern have been immense & for that they have to thank Heynckes. Bayern are unlikely to regret placing Guardiola in charge but I feel there's still plenty of miles left in the tank of Heynckes and someone (possibly Real Madrid) will be gaining an extremely good manager.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
P.s please ignore the horse icon on the title. Typing whilst entertaining a 4 month old

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
As I understand it Heynckes had already made the decision to retire before Guardiola was announced to be taking over. It's not like he is being sacked. He's quitting football management all together.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
As I understand it Heynckes had already made the decision to retire before Guardiola was announced to be taking over. It's not like he is being sacked. He's quitting football management all together.

A quote from the Guardian.
The 68-year-old was not cool about that aspect of the announcement. Bayern wanted to show he was not being pushed aside for Guardiola, the previously all-conquering Barcelona coach; that he was departing on his terms and at the end of his two-year contract. It was natural and organic. Heynckes, though, did not think it was Bayern's place to confirm officially what had been percolating in his thoughts for several months.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Bayern win tonight and win the German Cup final next weekend, which is not unrealistic, then they will have achieved a clean sweep for the first time in their history. That's a tough position for Pep to start from.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If Bayern win, it will be Heynckes' second Champions League triumph as he was Real Madrid's manager when they won the trophy for the first time in over 30 years in 1998.

Have a feeling Dortmund will win tonight though. Bayern have been the bridesmaids a few times now and that could leave them with some baggage. Dortmund will be happy to be perceived as underdogs and Klopp will surely have them well organised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here