Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Very keen on going travelling in my gap year particularly to somewhere like Australia, New Zealand.

The bet way seems to be work - travel and there are so many websites which offer this but don't guarantee a job which could be a worrying once there.

Anyone had experience of the best way to go travelling on a budget and work at the same time?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why not just get a job?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cousins been in Australia for 9 months now. Working has been difficult, cash in hand is non existent and the rest of jobs are quite poorly paid or very mundane, so maybe best to go with a good cash reserve so you don't need to rely on a job?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If you have any ability in carpentry, plumbing, electrics or bricklaying then get to Canterbury - they're looking for people to help in the rebuilding. Why not enrol on a bricklaying course during the summer.

chiefkickass

Jan 19, 2012
Very keen on going travelling in my gap year particularly to somewhere like Australia, New Zealand.

The bet way seems to be work - travel and there are so many websites which offer this but don't guarantee a job which could be a worrying once there.

Anyone had experience of the best way to go travelling on a budget and work at the same time?

Screw working! Go somewhere that's cheaper to live and you'll not need to work.
India, Thailand.......

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
my daughter and partner took career break to travel for one year, organised trip via sta travel, lived and worked in Sydney for 6 months, looked for jobs when they arrived in Sydney, did save up in advance too, had a fabulous time of their lives - probably will only be surpassed by the birth of their baby in September - if I were more fully awake I would be spouting forth a mark twain quote to urge you to go for it !

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Screw working! Go somewhere that's cheaper to live and you'll not need to work.
India, Thailand.......

This. Work here for a few months and save a few grand and then go to Asia. And Vietnam and Cambodia are better than Thailand. Stay there until you get low on cash and then go and work in New Zealand (better than Oz and less full of twats).

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Because of the weak pound you will find Australia and NZ very expensive. They are both great counties to visit but perhaps aim to visit both for a few weeks each. Then add Thailand, Vietnam etc. onto the beginning or end of your trip.
You will feel nervous initially but within 48 hours you will realise how easy everything is and will also meet many new friends.

Tip 1: Take twice as much money as you think you will need.
Tip 2: Take half the luggage you think you will need.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you are heading Australia way one piece of advice I was given and served me well, a few people said the same thing actually, Australians are *****.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
To be fair Australians seem to become alright people after about 40 yrs of age. Under that age and they are truly awful people. never more so than when you encounter them abroad. Every one I have met barr one has been a free-loading, self centred, loud mouthed twit.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I know the language may be an issue, but why not work in Scandinavia to earn some money? Their 'minimum' wage is about 3 times what it is over here and they almost all speak English anyway.

You could live there for a couple of months, earn a shit-load of money then go on holiday in a cheap country?

el punal

My daughter and her boyfriend went travelling in 2004/5. Firstly, taking in India and Malaysia then onto Oz. There they both got jobs in Sydney and lived in a shared rented house with other ex-pats.

The purpose for working was to supplement their savings and carry on touring around the world. My daughter actually got a decent job in a multi-national bank where she worked for 6 months.

They found that getting jobs was not too difficult, but as with anything there are good and bad. She said that Aussie employers really appreciate the British work ethic and because of that there is a distinct advantage when applying for a job.

When it was time for my daughter to leave the bank offered her a 4 year contract to stay on! She refused, and she and her boyfriend then bought a car and toured Oz and then sold the car to fellow travellers.

Onward then to New Zealand, Pacific islands and Canada before returning home after 11 months away.

Hope this info. is of some help and hope that you have as enjoyable a time as my daughter did.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Cousins been in Australia for 9 months now. Working has been difficult, cash in hand is non existent and the rest of jobs are quite poorly paid or very mundane, so maybe best to go with a good cash reserve so you don't need to rely on a job?

Weird.

Guy at work got back from 9 months away where worked in Australia for 3 months on farms/bar work no problem, paid like $20/hour.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If you are heading Australia way one piece of advice I was given and served me well, a few people said the same thing actually, Australians are *****.

ah that's nice......but you come across as a **** so does that make everyone in the south of England a ****...?? you ****.

on a serious note matthew , i would save up as much money as you can at home and then go somewhere cheap like vietnam , laos or thailand.........they can be ***** there as well though so look out.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Every one I have met barr one has been a free-loading, self centred, loud mouthed twit.

Your soooo right, we have an ozzie "friend" who has used us with sob stories and just out and out bullshit, then when we went over there she said come stay with me, we kinda thought ok she may repay us in kindness ie somewhere to stay a bit of food etc just being nice..... nope not one bit, we had to meet her at a grocery store for some bizzare reason when we got to Melbourne as she needed to get food and we could follow her home turns out when she was paying her card dident work could we pay !! That was the last straw I walked out got in the car and we drove off and stayed in a hotel.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I know the language may be an issue, but why not work in Scandinavia to earn some money? Their 'minimum' wage is about 3 times what it is over here and they almost all speak English anyway.

You could live there for a couple of months, earn a shit-load of money then go on holiday in a cheap country?

Yeah really like that idea

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here