Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House to rent needed!!!

Once more me and the good TrickyOne family have been stitched up by landlords wanting a long lease, only to be served with a section 21 4 months into the tennancy! I'm currently having chemotherapy and on long term leave...with no savings to speak of. The council want us to stay until we are evicted but moralistically I find this difficult to swallow. So....long story short, I'm looking for a 3 bed house in the Southwick, Lancing, Shoreham, Portslade area. Wouldn't ask on here but there seems to be little around!!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The council are right. Sit tight and swallow your pride if I were you mate.
Good luck with everything

A section 21 is a notice of reposession, so we have only a month to find somewhere to live. My daughter has just had a baby and due to my illness i've not been able to save any extra from my wages, bit of a bummer really!!!

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Once more me and the good TrickyOne family have been stitched up by landlords wanting a long lease, only to be served with a section 21 4 months into the tennancy! I'm currently having chemotherapy and on long term leave...with no savings to speak of. The council want us to stay until we are evicted but moralistically I find this difficult to swallow. So....long story short, I'm looking for a 3 bed house in the Southwick, Lancing, Shoreham, Portslade area. Wouldn't ask on here but there seems to be little around!!

Unless I am very much mistaken they cant do this in the first 6 months of your tenancy ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I thought the whole point of a lease was a contract for fixed amount of time, don't they have to just cause to repossess?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Been there and had to do it about 20 years ago. The council were brilliant and helped me and my family immensely. I was ill and private renting at the time and could no longer afford the rent.
Now back in a lot better shape and buying my own place.
Citizens advice would probably advise you to sit tight as well.

Life tends to kick you hard at the worst possible times but you sometimes just have to use the system and kick back harder. After all, it's what it's there for matey :)

Unless I am very much mistaken they cant do this in the first 6 months of your tenancy ?

Yeah, unfortunately the notice period ends at 6 months. Shame as it cost so much to move in..credit checks-£400, holding deps £200. unbelievable really as the letting agents sent me a letter telling me that i have to pay £50 for the itinery comapny to check us out!! Proper joke!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:angry:
...credit checks-£400, holding deps £200.

and estate agents wonder why the rest of the world think they are the lowest form of life. a credit check costs £15, if you buy a car, get a credit card or mobile phone and they'll not charge you. but rent a house and they feel obliged to rip you off for an extra months rent. :angry:

(yes i know there are some good ones out there, but they are the exception sadly)

During initial 6 months of tenancy agreement you cannot be given notice and after that if the tenancy becomes a periodic one the landlord may give two months notice and landlord's reason is totally irrelevant

Nice 1, this sounds like it may give us more time, thank you.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A section 21 is a notice of reposession, so we have only a month to find somewhere to live. My daughter has just had a baby and due to my illness i've not been able to save any extra from my wages, bit of a bummer really!!!

A section 21 one is a notice of repossesion but not an order. When the notice expires you will then get a month on an eviction order. Eviction Notices last between7 to 11 weeks I beleive. When does your notice run out?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yeah, unfortunately the notice period ends at 6 months. Shame as it cost so much to move in..credit checks-£400, holding deps £200. unbelievable really as the letting agents sent me a letter telling me that i have to pay £50 for the itinery comapny to check us out!! Proper joke!!

Thieving scum. Really glad I don't rent anymore, I've had it before where my monthly wage was about £100 short of the 2.5x the rent that they like to have, with my partner at the time our combined income was well over. Because she'd only been with her employer a couple of months they made us get a guarantour, meaning two X £80 credit checks.

I've never moved out of a rental where they didn't try to scam the deposit either, for stuff that is blatant wear and tear or damage that was already there. I bet the landlords don't see most of that.

Sorry not to be able any practical help but I think as others have said stick it out and in the mean time have a look around and try and find somewhere that really suits. I hope you can get something sorted out and again as has been said already get the system to work for you.
All the best fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here