Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you play with a famous footballer at school or sunday league teams.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well this "should" be a safe thread that "should" not get closed down or turn into a binfest.

Did anyone here play with in a school team or even sunday league team a now famous or just a regular professional footballer & were the poop or could you see they would always make it ?

When I lived in Wigan Russell Beardsmore played with me in midfield in the school team. He was a nice kid and on United books at a young age and yes the boy could play.
He was one of "Fergie's Fledglings" and played 56 times for them before moving down to Bournmouth and playing 167 times for them and I think he is still a coach there now.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
My mate played in power league about 9 years ago v will Hoskins and Leon best in notts, can see them both returning there soon!

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Payed against Gerry Armstrong during Sunday League match and another time against Teddy Maybank when he payed for Corals

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Payed against Gerry Armstrong during Sunday League match and another time against Teddy Maybank when he payed for Corals

I played in that Corals team, with Teddy Maybank, Sammy Nelson, Paul Flood and Sammy Donnelly.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Not a footballer as such, but he was pretty good when I played in the same school team as ........ Steve Ovett, gold medalist olympian.
He played left wing. This was in 1967 when the 2 - 3 - 5 formation was still the vogue.
He just kicked it past you and ran!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Played against Micky Droy when I was very young and played against Phil Stant & Guy Whittingham (in fairness I came on for about 10 minutes and never got near him) later on.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ah, GYM.
You were also in the same team!
Oh. Just noticed. This wasn't you, bu your dad, GOM.
I have a photo to prove it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I was at the same school as Gareth Southgate for a bit. He was good but didn't stand out as someone who'd go on to miss in a penalty shoot out for England. BTW he was a nice kid, but surprise surprise a bit boring.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I was at the same school as Gareth Southgate for a bit. He was good but didn't stand out as someone who'd go on to miss in a penalty shoot out for England. BTW he was a nice kid, but surprise surprise a bit boring.

Hazelwick?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Tommy Fraser. Yeah. Spent many a school lunchtime playing football with Norwich's Russell Martin as well.

Russell Martin was in the year above me at school - I played football with him sometimes at lunch, so perhaps I played against you too!

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove

I played regularly with Gareth until he signed for Palace. You're spot on about him...

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
A young, but sadly not young enough to play for us, Gary Stevens used to be our coach when I used to play for Hove Park Colts.
Regular for the Albion on a Saturday and still commited to coach a load of 12 year olds every Sunday. Good on him.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Played in a tournament in Denmark against the Chris Sutton (then of Norwich juniors).. there were others too that made the 1st team but their names escape me.. they also had a welsh team, Cymru Canaries

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
A friend went to school with Scott Gemmill. Said he was rubbish. Played rugby against Du'aine Ladejo (he was brilliant - we couldn't catch him).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here