Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sally Bercow tweet about McAlpine libellous...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Good for her. She should know better but apparently does not.

She annoys me greatly. Just because her husband is "something" she is determined to impose herself on the country too, as if she was important. I really couldn't care less what her thoughts are on anything.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It does show that for something to be libellous you don't need to state it - just make a reference to it or the person.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It does show that for something to be libellous you don't need to state it - just make a reference to it or the person.

Yep. Innuendo is enough. Bear in mind too that libel is not a criminal matter; it's a civil action. Thus the standard of proof required is "on the balance of probabilities" (i.e. anything over 50:50), rather than the "beyond reasonable doubt" level required for criminal cases. Finally, McAlpine himself will have brought the action; it was for Sally Bercow to prove that the tweet was not libellous, not for him to prove it was.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This is going to be a massive growth area for the legal eagles, isn't it. I can see it now, the No Win / No Fee guys jumping all over this.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"Today's ruling should be seen as a warning to all social media users. Things can be held to be seriously defamatory, even when you do not intend them to be defamatory and do not make any express accusation. On this, I have learned my own lesson the hard way." says Sally Bercow. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22652083

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What's the point in using twitter if we can't say anything? Can we have a list of things we can say on twitter? I think I'm gonna give twitter a miss for a while since we can't talk about anything on there...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What's the point in using twitter if we can't say anything? Can we have a list of things we can say on twitter? I think I'm gonna give twitter a miss for a while since we can't talk about anything on there...

:smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is going to be a massive growth area for the legal eagles, isn't it. I can see it now, the No Win / No Fee guys jumping all over this.
Well with Legal Aid being ripped up, along with the right for the poorest to choose their own defence, and replaced by Eddie Stobarts secondary legal business.
They'll need to earn a living somehow.

If I were you I'd google that, before you call me a fookin stoooooopid moron.

Oh and it's amazing what news stories get 'leaked' on the day a former Prime minister dies.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Every year, we have to put up with someone constantly putting themselves and also being put in the news - Pete Docherty, Amy Winehouse, Katie Price, Sally Bercow, that boy from One Direction. Does it make any of them happy?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Every year, we have to put up with someone constantly putting themselves and also being put in the news - Pete Docherty, Amy Winehouse, Katie Price, Sally Bercow, that boy from One Direction. Does it make any of them happy?

Probably makes them a lot of money, though, and they get to feel important.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Probably makes them a lot of money, though, and they get to feel important.

I'd take the happiness over the money and importance. Maybe I should have asked "Does it make anyone happy?" I know I'm turning into an old fogey, but I'd prefer more news in a newspaper than some photos of someone leaving a nightclub. Or the latest Sally Bercow tweet, of which I presume there will either be fewer, or the press will be even more fascinated in. Hopefully the former.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
"Today's ruling should be seen as a warning to all social media users. Things can be held to be seriously defamatory, even when you do not intend them to be defamatory and do not make any express accusation. On this, I have learned my own lesson the hard way." says Sally Bercow. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22652083

Wow I now understand a little better why Bozza and gang have been removing threads and posts in the last week or so.

Reading that story, there is for example a number of Brighton based Palace fans, that need to be careful in what they have been posting on the P**gate thread on BBS.
If I was the Brighton member of staff named by them and I was innocent of their accusation, I think I could earn a nice few quid.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I still wonder why McAlpine, along with his good friend Derek Laud didn't sue Scallywag magazine when they ran a similar story in much MUCH more detail in the early nineties? - I'll pm the link if anybody want's a gander at it (probably best not to post it here!).

His wiki page also says(well said)that he's a keen collector of Graham Ovenden's art....interesting.

Just a thought like.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here