Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best decade for music

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
What is your best, 60's 70's 80's 90's? or do you like a mix?
Growing up in this decade and being a bit of an old hip hop head it has to be the 80's for me. Plus I kind of like a lot of the synth pop of the time.
What decade floats your boat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
17/18Century. bach

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
80's all the way.

I think its nearly always going to be the decade of your teens when most people start discovering music, and the old nostalgia kicks in. My god there was some absolutel PAP around in that decade, but it has its own charm. And I ask you, can anyone NOT love the song 'True' ? I mean come on.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For me, it doesn't divide well into decades. How can you say 70s, for example? Started with glam and prog and ended in punk and new wave!

I think the 80s were mostly awful... apart from the beginning when post-punk was still going strong (before it mutated into the horror that was the new romantics - and then that was followed by Stock, Aitken and sodding Waterman!). Two notable exceptions - New Order and the Smiths. The American 'paisley underground' bands were great too.

The 90s Brit pop stuff was great, but it got a bit boring in the end. I think the late 90s and early 00s were a truly barren period. Hardly anything decent at all, apart from Radiohead.

So can't choose a decade. The best period of music for me was definitely the 'post-punk' era - 1978-1982 - so many new and exciting bands.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
80's all the way.

I think its nearly always going to be the decade of your teens when most people start discovering music, and the old nostalgia kicks in. My god there was some absolutel PAP around in that decade, but it has its own charm. And I ask you, can anyone NOT love the song 'True' ? I mean come on.

I grew up in the 90s, and I DETEST 90s music. Well, English 90s anyway, some American stuff was pretty good.

80s is my favourite decade by a long way.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It has to be the early 90's for me - thanks to Electronic Music/Rave culture. It greatly enhanced my appreciation of the plethora of musical styles that influenced the genre, and the buzz was hugely addictive*.

*All of the above might've had something to do with the odd nibble of a cheeky Disco Biccie. NASA puffa-jackets anyone?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I like a mix of 80s - present day. Love early REM, C86 indie music, shoegazing, the great English triumvirate of Cure/Smiths/New Order, Chicago House, late 80s to early 90s British techno, 90s American indie, Chemikal Underground - actually loads of Scottish indie, pretty broad now (musically), become less of an indie snob as I have got older. I prefer the 60s to the 70s. I'm fairly ignorant about music from 1900-1959, especially 1900-1919. I'll put it on my list of things to investigate.

larus

Like said above I'd go for a bracket of late 60's to late 70's,

However, if it has to be a decade then 70's for me.

Definitely the 70's. However I would probably say mid 70's - mid 80's. The emergence of punk (Pistols, Stranglers, etc), new wave, Ska revival with Specials/Selector/Madness etc. So much diverse choice. Compare that to a lot of the dross dished up over the last 20 years or so, with manufactured boy & girl groups. Maybe I'm biased as I'm not a fan of techno/dance music.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
All depends on the genre for me. I think 80s pop can't be beaten but then again Brit Pop was, at its best, just brilliiant.

Actually scrub my first comment - I haven't a clue which is best. All I know is that I listen to music from the 50s all the way up to brand new stuff regularly and I still find music amazing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Late 80s early 90s Hip-Hip.

Has anyone notice that the Ultramagnetic MC's are playing Brighton soon, as well as The Pharcyde playing Bizzare Ride II.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like a mix of 80s - present day. Love early REM, C86 indie music, shoegazing, the great English triumvirate of Cure/Smiths/New Order, Chicago House, 90s American indie, Chemikal Underground - actually loads of Scottish indie, pretty broad now (musically), become less of an indie snob as I have got older..

You seem to actually be me*

*Once I took out the techno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here