Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second test: England v New Zealand

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Venue: Headingley Dates: Friday 24 to Tuesday 28 May

England likely to be unchanged form the Lords victory, Daniel Vettori confirmed not making a comeback after failing fitness test.

More of the same from Stuart Broad please :clap2:, although not looking good on the weather front :down:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
The weather's looking pretty grim up there. Wouldn't be surprised if there's not much play today. Maybe none at all.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Here I am, working at home, and there's golf at Wentworth and a Test Match. How on earth am I supposed to get any work done, do these people not think of me when they make their schedules.

Funny you should say that TD....... :lolol:

Draw for me. Flatish pitch and too much time lost to rain. Would be nice to see some English batsmen make some runs before the Champions Trophy and Ashes, although I can't decide whether I want Compton to succeed or not - I'm seriously looking forward to watching Root grow into a quality international opener. I wonder where he'll bat in the Champions Trophy...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Another snoozefest beckons as England who think they are the best team ever to play test cricket again flatter to deceive against the minnows of New Zealand, all played out in half hour intervals between rain and near freezing temperatures.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Draw for me. Flatish pitch and too much time lost to rain. Would be nice to see some English batsmen make some runs before the Champions Trophy and Ashes, although I can't decide whether I want Compton to succeed or not - I'm seriously looking forward to watching Root grow into a quality international opener. I wonder where he'll bat in the Champions Trophy...

Headingley is usually a result pitch and I can't see it changing much. There may well be some rain and time lost but don't forget that an hours worth of good swing bowling from either side can transform the match. I'm thinking that England will win if we have the good fortune to field first. Root is almost the finished article already, I can't see him getting dropped anytime soon especially as Bell is a bit hit and miss these days. Compton is the new Tavare, he just needs to realise this and drop the odd swoosh from his game.

England to win !

Headingley is usually a result pitch and I can't see it changing much. There may well be some rain and time lost but don't forget that an hours worth of good swing bowling from either side can transform the match. I'm thinking that England will win if we have the good fortune to field first. Root is almost the finished article already, I can't see him getting dropped anytime soon especially as Bell is a bit hit and miss these days. Compton is the new Tavare, he just needs to realise this and drop the odd swoosh from his game.

England to win !

All the reports I've heard have said it's unusually flat, more like a typical Lords pitch than Headingly. Certainly Yorkshire have scored bags of runs at home recently - their last two outings have seen scores of 505-9 declared and 677-7 declared.

I can't see England losing, I'd still back the draw but I agree that an hour of excellent swing bowling from England could make a decisive difference.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All the reports I've heard have said it's unusually flat, more like a typical Lords pitch than Headingly. Certainly Yorkshire have scored bags of runs at home recently - their last two outings have seen scores of 505-9 declared and 677-7 declared.

I can't see England losing, I'd still back the draw but I agree that an hour of excellent swing bowling from England could make a decisive difference.

Well, don't forget, at Headingley, Sussex bowled out Yorkshire for 96 and 248 while posting 356 in their only innings to win by an innings and a few. Thats Headingley earlier this year so if we get a similar track, who knows ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well, don't forget, at Headingley, Sussex bowled out Yorkshire for 96 and 248 while posting 356 in their only innings to win by an innings and a few. Thats Headingley earlier this year so if we get a similar track, who knows ?

The ECB are a money making machine, they'll be requesting the flattest pitch possible to extract as much money as possible from this match.

They'll also be hoping for at least 10.1 overs today so they would only have to refund £25 of the £50 entrance fee for the day.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The ECB are a money making machine, they'll be requesting the flattest pitch possible to extract as much money as possible from this match.

They'll also be hoping for at least 10.1 overs today so they would only have to refund £25 of the £50 entrance fee for the day.
I think that is all covered by insurance so they are not personally responsible if the weather intervenes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully some play today but looks like a nailed on draw due to the weather

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just started. England won the toss and are batting.

4/0 after first over.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Somerset may be getting Compton back to bolster their batting at this rate - another good knock from Root and Cook may have a new opening partner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here